Author Topic: Tried it?  (Read 4301 times)

undercarriage plan

Tried it?
« on: September 28, 2005, 16:38:52 »
Has anyone tried to grow the Aubergine Billur or De Barnentane? If so, were they any good? If not, which aubergine will you be trying next season? I grew mine on from plugs this season, and would like to try them from seed next. Thanks.  :)Lottie
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 16:42:19 by undercarriage plan »

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Tried it?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 16:56:12 »
I grew Long Purple from seed, the yield has been adequate, not harvested yet. I have not decided whether to stay with the same variety next year. The supplier was Kings Seeds. Growing from seed was very easy, just bunged them in a pot under cover and up they popped.

Derekthefox :D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 17:45:49 »
Lottie - hic! - 'barbentane'??

Yes - very strong plants - shown you the fruits & the foliage earlier. But in the cold 'house. Vida Verde would probably say OK for sheltered outside. Here's tonight's progress.

I have had good results with aubs outside - with protection - in the Cotswolds.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 20:28:07 »
LOL!!! You got me Tim!! Thanks for that you 2, will probably go for Barbenthigny... ::) I'm trying here, Tim, really.... :-\

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 08:37:17 »
I keep trying Tres Hative de Brabantine but, unlike other varieties which seem pretty vigorous, I keep getting feak and weeble specemins...

Tres Hative? Non!
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 09:19:42 »
Of course, because I have not harvested my Long Purple yet, they are still awaiting the taste test by my resident culinary expert, daughter Jennifer (now 16). However, if they are served with olive oil and garlic, I am sure they will get the thumbs up ....

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 09:43:48 »
aubergines, now there is an idea. will have a look - are thin long ones better than the rounder varieties you get in shops, in terms of growing them in our climate?
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 09:49:00 »
I am not qualified to comment really Svea, since I only grow them! I would have thought that the smaller fruited varieties would be more successful here yes, but lets hear from some real experience ...

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 10:28:21 »
If you read Vida Verde & others, you will see that even 'large, fat ones' can be early.
I haven't tried, because I like more rather than bigger.
The most productive I've grown so far have been Simpson's Orient Express. An intermediate type, similar to Slim Jim in my blog. Sown 13/4 - first 8/7 - last 6/10 - average 33 per plant.

But I shall certainly grow Thai Long Green again - first this year 20/8 & 51 from 4 plants so far.

This is in a cold 'house in bags.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 10:30:18 »
thanks tim. is 'early' something i should look out for in seeds then? for our short crpping season, and that? your thai ong green looked interesting :) will check the varieties now, where is the catalogue?

dont have a cold house but a sheltered sunny spot. i had peppers and they did fine, so more of those next year too
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 11:52:02 »
Just Google Vida Verde. Or Simpsonsseeds.

Except for dishes like Involtini, where you need to wrap something, I have always gone for long & thin - they give you identifiable substance rather that pith, & are better suited to pickles & ratatouille - I think.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 13:15:13 »
good point Tim - I always prefer the bits of aub with skin. Maybe I'll try your Orient Express next year. (oops - my list of seeds is getting longer. Someone tell me I have enough seeds already!)
gone to pot :D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 13:34:28 »
I concur with you Aqui on the skin, i never think of aubergine without a piece of skin attached ...

I also have the same problem with massive seed lists ! ! !

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 13:42:15 »
That's the thing Derek - my list isn't massive.

It started as "I have so many seeds left over, I won't need to get any for next year". Then it became - apart from carrots, parsnips, greenmanure, garlic and potatoes.

Now it's getting longer and longer. (and this is all for my five little veg beds and all the pots I can find and squeeze around the paths!)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 14:24:27 »
Well I have 4 biscuit tins full of old seeds, and each year my seed order will exceed £25 at discounted prices ... I don't know where  they all go ...  ;D but I do enjoy just growing stuff. And then cooking it. And then eating it.  ;D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 14:48:32 »
Derek - why aren't you doing a seed swap then? That's saved me a fortune for next year.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 15:00:21 »
Probably a combination of apathy and nervous caution Aqui. I never considered anyone would want my old seeds (except to sell on Ebay) and interacting with members where they know my personal details is not something I wish to repeat.

The cost to me is negligible and irrelevant.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2005, 16:07:29 »
I read a great tip for old seeds in a book on year-round gardening. The suggestion is that in September (just got time) if you have patches of bare ground just sow them, and just wait and see what happens. The ones that won't crop, or that will be killed by frost, will provide green manure, and you may get a nice surprise e.g. with carrots, parsnips, greens etc. that will survive and give you winter crops. The book goes on to say that this is an ideal way of finding out what you could be planting for overwintering ;D I have no patches of bare ground :-[ but will def. do this when the biscuit tin overfloweth ;D ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2005, 18:19:00 »
Thanks Sarah, that sounds like a wonderful idea ..., but it will have to be October now ...  ;D

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2005, 08:24:27 »
i've just bought tres hative de barbentane for next year....got it from the organic gardening catelogue
It'll be better next year

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal