Author Topic: First EVER Parsnip Harvest!  (Read 3971 times)

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
Re: First EVER Parsnip Harvest!
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2005, 15:53:23 »
They look brilliant Plocket, you are obviously chuffed to bits. It's not some thing we generally bother to grow. My significant other reckons they're in the ground too long.

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2005, 17:20:58 »
Mine took about six months - when you consider the fantastic taste I think they are worth the wait!!!! I understand where your SI is coming from though.
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2005, 23:57:52 »
Well done, Plocket!! No longer a veggie virgin, then!!! I tried some parsnips in a container but I don't think they are anything like that. Last time I looked, they were still pencil thin.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2005, 00:02:38 »
These are excellent Plocket.  Well done!  I love parsnips but they can be tricky to grow.   :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2005, 21:31:29 »
Parsnips are one of my most favourite flavoursome veggies & very versatile

I am determined to grow some successfully next year.

This year's - all 4 of them, were a disaster.

Debs

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2005, 08:41:37 »
Good luck Debs!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2005, 17:57:06 »
How fantastic Plocket! You are the parsnip queen 2005! Watch out, I'm coming next year.

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2005, 18:27:53 »
Oh Ina thank you, but hardly! They were out of containers - someone could easily grow bigger and better parsnips, and far more of them, in an allotment! Good luck with yours - they really are scrummy!

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2005, 23:18:29 »
Hi Plocket - decided I'd dig up one of my only two plants day before yesterday when I went to lottie....tried easing handfork under and around it.....not a hope, wouldn't budge so got the big fork and eventually up came this huge parsnip....couldn't believe my eyes....sorry no picture (don't know how to do them) altho I did take a photo of it & other produce when I got home......when I weighed it, it weighed just under 2lbs!!!

As there's only me in the place, trying to decide how many ways I can use it  :P

I sowed the row back on 26th May but only the two germinated and they were Wilkinsons 'Hollow Crown'

Definitely want to try growing some in containers tho - you've inspired me, thanks

HP

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2005, 12:36:02 »
Ooooh and I bet your parsnip tastes gorgeous too! Have fun with the container parsnips - I'm trying a different sort next year so will see how I get on!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2005, 12:54:53 »
Hi Plocket - I went to inspect our crop in the ground and they're huge so we've dug them up before they get completely woody.  Also, quite a few have forked which I find odd as the soil is neither stony nor recently manured though it is very fertile and improved with garden compost.   I gave the biggest parsnip to the bull and he ate it with gusto whilst continuing to snort and complain.  I reckon I'll try both carrots and parsnips in containers next year and none for the bull..

Obxx - Vendée France

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2005, 15:31:47 »
Sounds to me as though you are spoiling that bull: he'll be in your garden helping himself at this rate!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal