Author Topic: Peppers  (Read 3199 times)

wendsbends

• Not So New ...
Peppers
« on: September 23, 2005, 21:41:01 »
This is my first year on the allotment.  I've grown some peppers, a freebie packeet with T&M.  I do have lots of peppers, however, they are all green and wondered how long I'd have to wait until they turned red if they do.  The packet doesn't say anything but has green and red peppers on it.  They are uncovered at the moment, should I cover them with fleece soon.

Thanks

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Peppers
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 22:11:25 »
I think you are pushing it hoping to get red peppers outside now.  But, peppers are just as yummy green as they are red!  If you can wrap them up it might protect them for a bit longer, but they are very tender and a frost will bump them off.  I don't think wrapping them up will encourage the fruit to ripen either, I think that is more to do with sun and heat.  Pick them and bring them in, they may colour up in the warmth of the house, but me, I would use them!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 22:32:02 »
I agree with EJ.  It doesn't matter what colour they are - they're still good eating.  I've fetched mine in off the lotty and been eating them raw, with rice, in chilli, in soup  :)  Hopefully will still get a few more  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 22:35:06 »
I ripened a load of green ones on the windowledge - they turn red very quickly.

Now that its turned colder I've dug up a couple of the plants and have potted them up and have them inside.  Last winter I had chiilies right the way through picked fresh off the plant.
Best laid plans and all that

Maddy

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 02:32:05 »
Thanks for that, I think I'll cut my losses and start eating them now.

M.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 07:49:35 »
But DO freeze some - in strips, or de-seeded ready for stuffing?

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 23:57:27 »
maybe cloche a few.

wendsbends

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 20:04:39 »
Thanks for your help, I've picked off a few today so will see if they go red, still loads more on the allotment.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 09:35:32 »
I too can't be bothered to wait for them to go red, I pick them as soon as they are large enough, they disappear faster than I can supply.

Derekthefox :D

RosieM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 09:51:45 »
Hi All,

On the subject of peppers - I have grown them for the first time this year - loads of peppers, a bit thin fleshed but I guess that is not enough water - BUT the plants are only 8 inches high! I was expecting them to reach at least a foot.

They are so short that the slugs are having to merely crane their necks to get a good munch.  :( I haven't had a single fruit without holes)

They are 'redskin' variety is this normal please?

RosieM

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 10:45:23 »
How tall is your container? They are very much a 'pot plant'.

As to flesh, many larger ones are disappointing in that respect. But you can't have it all ways.

http://www.floranova.co.uk/species.php?id=80 . Is that you??

RosieM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 10:57:17 »

It is a Dobies one - the same I think.

It is in a raised bed on the sunniest part of the allotment, the bed is very small, only 3'6" x 2' and about 1' deep (although no root limit of course) do you think it may have been too big - there are three of them in there?

RosieM

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 11:23:12 »
I see that it can be 12-16". Can't think why it isn't. The bed sounds fine. And Bucks isn't the Arctic?

RosieM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2005, 11:34:34 »
I think it will just have to remain a mystery, still, it has entertainment value - all those peppers on such a small plant!

:-\

RosieM

Maddy

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 11:41:53 »
Rosie, I planted mine a little late but even so they stopped growing when they got to about 8 inches, although mine are a standard sweet pepper from, I think, Homebase.  I'm growing mine in a pot on a balcony that's a little heat trap and only have 4 fruit.  This is my first year as well, such a shame, I love peppers with everything...although haven't tried with custard  ;)

M.

RosieM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2005, 11:58:44 »
Maddy,

More muck I think! That will be my next move.

Try, try again, there's always next year.

cheers

RosieM   ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal