Author Topic: Caliuflowers  (Read 1696 times)

Veggie Mad

• Quarter Acre
Caliuflowers
« on: September 26, 2005, 11:23:19 »
I was wondering if it is okay to (try and) germinate my cauliflower seeds within the next few weeks, the instructions on the packet says to sow them Sept/Oct?  I have never grown cauliflowers before, so not sure if they will be successful.  Also should I plant them directly in the ground or grow them in pots first and then transplant them for best results.  Last question should I keep the seeds/plants under the polytunnel or should they not be kept under cover?
Thanks for all your help in advance.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Caliuflowers
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 11:34:26 »
I'm out-of-date - I've never heard of Sep/Oct sowing.

Check with the supplier. Especially about hardiness.

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 11:55:00 »
Glad you asked VeggieMad - my cauliflower seed packet says the same. The only reference I can find for this method on the www says:

[Cauliflowers] I normally sow in the middle of August to September into a cold frame, leaving them to over winter in the frames, planting out into their final position when the frost has gone,early April,

I'm not clear what advantage you would get over, say, a January greenhouse sowing...?
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Veggie Mad

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 12:08:44 »
Bit more information.  I just called DT Brown!  The variety i have got is called Danish Perfection.  They should be sown in Sept/Oct.  The helpful person said just grow them in small pots (try and keep them protected), and then transplant them out into the garden.  I'll plant mine this coming weekend in my unheated greenhouse and then transplant them into my polytunnel.  I really hope they work!   Apparently they don't need to be covered as they are an autumn/winer variety, i just don't want to waste the seeds!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 12:41:21 »
Ta for that info.  Well worth a go!  Lottie get some in your pT!
I came, I saw, I composted

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 13:39:58 »
" transplant into the ground when all danger of frost has gone??"

Meanwhile, in a cold frame or such.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal