Author Topic: Happy  (Read 2899 times)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Happy
« on: October 28, 2003, 11:31:07 »
If someone had told me  years ago that I would be standing beaming  happily at a pile of manure, ;D I would have told them they were nuts! But that's what I did yesterday, my load arrived and at a bargain price of £15, well I thought it was a bargain! Now I have to get it shifted today, before the supposed rain, off the pathway it is blocking......a small price to pay for the lovely black stuff, this growing veg lark is turning me funny! ;) Dotty P
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Happy
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 20:28:20 »
Happiness is as happiness does. We used to have manure delivered to the bottom of the drive. Great. except that it was a 1 in 7 slope up the drive and about 25 metres to the top of the slope. It always arrived while I was at work and sat on the pavement gently steaming until I came home. Fun though. Hope you got it shifted.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 21:40:32 »
Eric, all the best laid plans and all that.ended up making merigue bones, and oozing fingers with the kids for our Halloween party!!!! YUM! :o But I am hoping this weather will hold till they go back to school so I can have a whole day to myself on the lottie on monday!!  DP

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 01:43:25 »
having just read your message D.P. -  can well understand the pleasure the sight of all this muck gave you.....but it's prompted me to ask a couple of questions....in your first message....to the left of the text...you've got 2 pumpkin gifs.....how do you  put them or similar pics/gifs into the replies like that please?(I'm knew to computers as well as lottie's!)... and your later posting.....you say you hope to spend all day maybe Monday at your lottie.....can't help but ask a slightly delicate question  :-[ which has worried me since becoming a lottie holder....has your site got a loo on it?.....I don't think I could stay longer than 3 hours on mine at most :( - could have done I suppose when I was younger)......do others have this errr problem? - hope you got it shifted by the way......H.P.

jethro

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2003, 10:35:04 »
Hi Hot_ potato, the problem of the loo is simple, go into the shed with a bucket ;) , then the contents are tipped onto the compost heap it's great for rotting the thing down :P .

Hi Doris_Pinks, i'm getting a delivery this saturday from a local farmer, luckly i went to school with him (many moons ago :-/ ) so for a load of about 4 ton i only pay him £5 ;D . The wife said she would give me a hand to move it but the same thing applies to her, she won't stay for long due to the lack of 'facilities' on the lottie, so i have to do it myself and boy am i shattered after that :P.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2003, 19:32:04 »
Well Hot pot, being a lass without picnic equipment, i err...........have been known to dissapear in to the bushes! :-X  It is one of the major reasons I would like a little shed!!! No loo's on our patch  :'(
Jethro, 5 quid!! What a bargain, you can't buy 4 ton of anything for that!! Tell the other half I can console with her problem, and the bushes are fine!! (mind you mine backs onto a cemetary, and I often wonder if I am being watched!! :o One day I shall come a cropper when a funeral is held at my end!! :() shoveling pooh certainly is tiring, but think of all those wonderful veg we shall have!! ;)  Dotty P.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2003, 19:37:06 »
Hot Pot, I almost forgot!! (hey I am a poet!)  To get the gifs, go to google, click on images, pick a piccy, click on it, copy the adress on the top, and save, come back to allotments for all and open profile.Where it says I have my own pic, paste your address. That should do it! (have to be careful as some are way too big and do not decrease well. Hope you understand this  DP  ;D

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2003, 21:12:47 »
One advantage I suppose of gardening from home is the nearness of comfort. I certainly could not last 3 hours, more like 30 minutes. Useful also when the only people who could see are helicopter and hot air balloon pilots. The compost heap is grateful for all contributions.
As far as manure is concerned I could probably get it free, but the last load we had was 10 tons and cost £10.  At the moment our farmer neighbour is bedding his cows on sawdust so I am not sure of the quality of the material without straw. The stuff deliveredto next door looked a bit odd and textureless, if you see what I mean. Trouble is that manure these days is full of the hormones and anti-biotics they stuff in cows so I am reluctant to use it anyway (Just to worry you a bit, but a lot of the fish in our river have turned female because of the hormonal imbalances caused by farming run off into the groundwater.)

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2003, 01:00:07 »
:)Hi Jethro...your suggestion has certainly crossed my mind.....sliight problem though...I don't have a shed!...and no immediate big bushes other than the dead & overgrown ones on my plot  :-/ (having seen River Cottage tonight...it's also good for removing lanolin from sheeps wool....useful bit of info that  ;) if your ever shearing a sheep!

Thanks D.P. for the info on posting gifs etc. blew my mind just reading what you told me but will try it sometime.....I'm a coward with the computer.....but think I've put a bunnie on this...(I hope)....

Scarey reading about those fish Palustris.....your not telling porkie pies are you.....it's for real  ??? it's just that I'm a bit gullible  ;)....having said I wouldn't....I did buy a fork yesterday...just have to have something to be going on with....H.P.

jethro

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2003, 11:20:04 »
Hi palustris, 10 ton what have you got ??? it must be a small farm :-/.

Hi Doris_Pinks, if anyone saw you it would liven them up a bit, especially the residents :o , sad joke i know.

Palefire

• Half Acre
  • "Are we green?"    5th Element
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2003, 13:47:10 »
(Just to worry you a bit, but a lot of the fish in our river have turned female because of the hormonal imbalances caused by farming run off into the groundwater.)

Part of my university course on aquatic ecology was a study into the Purple Top Shell on the Lincolnshire coast turning predominantly female, due to agricultural run off and the increased usage of chemicals that had an effect on them in the same way as hormones. Poorly treated the aquatic environment - we seem to think that it's big enough to take all our abuse. :(

On the happy front, though - there is a great amount of satisfaction to be had at this time of year when you have tidied up the last of the straggly veg plants and have dug in a huge amount of muck!! ;D
Love, Palefire

xxx
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:10 by -1 »
"You are going down a path that I cannot follow"

merv

• Half Acre
  • Umm, just a pinch of.....
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2003, 19:50:32 »
I am not a happy bunny!

I have just spent the last 1/2 hour writing an explaination  to HP in detail, on how to copy, print , find gifs and their properties.  I then decided to have a look at the Profile Template to see if any boxes needed ticking for incuding your own gif and then WHAT! You can't get back to your original window where you have typed your reply.

It's wiped!

A total waste of time.

I'm off  >:(

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2003, 20:41:43 »
So you see H.P. I was not telling porkies, maybe just exaggerating a trifle for artisitc effect. The river near us is one of the most heavily polluted with farm run off in the Country and is very carefully monitored by the Environment agency. Saw 2 swans on it today.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2003, 10:44:55 »
Hi, Mega. I read that too, but in the river the fish are affected by hormones which interfere with their normal processes.
Mind you the Environment agency are very good (not) they park their digger right over the top of the kingfishers bank, scaring them off. They use a digger to remove the massive growth in reeds caused by the fertiliser run off. The reeds grow like mad and block the stream of water.
Jethro, we got 2 loads of manure like that when we started the veg gardens and the flower beds. The garden is just under an acre in size. (70m by 80m plus little bits cos it aint square).

Palefire

• Half Acre
  • "Are we green?"    5th Element
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2003, 16:33:02 »
There are also instances in the animal and plant world where, if the population at large is predominantly one sex, then some of that sex will change to the minority in order to keep a balance. But that is nature, our messing up of the environment isn't!! :-/

I'd really like to have that much garden ;D. Limited to about 11m by 10m here :(, with about a quarter of that turned over to veggies at the mo'. I think that volume of muck would put about a seven foot layer on the tiny veggie patch here!!!
;D

Love, Palefire

xxx
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:11 by -1 »
"You are going down a path that I cannot follow"

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2003, 00:27:11 »
I dreamt last night that I went up to the lottie, and all me muck had been stolen by another holder :o, and dug into their plot, so i couldn't prove a thing.....woke up in a cold sweat I did!! Due to rain,( hurrah!! ;D), have not been up to check as yet! DP

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal