Author Topic: horrible fly things  (Read 3697 times)

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
horrible fly things
« on: February 13, 2007, 17:01:48 »
These horrible things are living in my compost bin and have been all winter.

What are they and should I be scared of anything?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: horrible fly things
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 17:23:09 »
Like this?

Squash'em!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 21:10:16 »
Some sort of whitefly. I have them too, in great clouds. I've been digging over some weedy beds, and I think I've succeeded in burying them all alive.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 21:29:02 »
Sawfish, I don't have the answer because they are in my compo bin as well.  I'm glad you posted this question.

I'm in the habit of lifting the lid towards me, so I don't get a faceful (or mouthful) YUCK

Tim, they won't stay still long enough for me to squish them ::)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 09:07:13 »
Might have guessed!

Don't know, but I would have thought that they are the fairly harmless Brassica-type Whitefly? If so, no worry - or just squirt with a hose to annoy them!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 14:34:44 »
Defo the same white fly as are smothering my blinking kale!!

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 13:40:15 »
I am with Tim on this but I would use a watering can with a drop of Jays fluid in the water to soak them.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

purple sprouting

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 17:36:31 »
Hi - we are currently 'doing compost' on my RHS course - this is an extract from the 'Recycle' website which explains briefly:   

These are fruit flies. They arrive following parent fruit flies laying eggs on the compostable material when in the green grocers, whilst in your kitchen or when the matter is waiting to be put in the bin. To prevent this be sure to keep the compostable matter waiting to be put into the bin covered so that parent flies cannot lay eggs upon it, either use a newspaper shroud or a covered bin as a storage container. To eradicate, always ensure that fresh matter added to the bin is placed under existing composting matter, or add a layer of soil or other “brown” material over the top. This will prevent the fruit fly larvae from hatching. You can also leave open the compost bin lid to allow fruit fly predators to enter. Don’t use fly spray.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 18:25:59 »
Those aren't fruit flies, which are tiny little brown things. I know them from studying genetics as an undergraduate.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 19:16:18 »
I agree RB, fruit flies are the lbj's.  The flies in the picture are definitely whitefly in my humble opinion.

I have been laughed at for this suggestion before, but in both cases (of flies) if you have one of the small hand-held vacuum cleaners, when you lift the lid of the compost bin, (assuming it's a dalek type bin)  as they fly out, suck them up into the cleaner.  All right, it won't eradicate them, but it will significantly reduce the numbers.  Better up the vac than in the mouth.

We haven't had the problem with whitefly, but the cloud of fruit flies is vile!!

Don't knock it until you've tried it!

valmarg

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 19:59:57 »
it'll probably frighten the s**t out of them as well, serve them right  ;D

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 22:31:38 »
Manics, not only does it scare the faeces out of them, it does actually work!!!

valmarg

whaddy1990

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 17:06:04 »
ahhhh i have whitefly to in my compost binwhat should i do about it ??? i sprayed some soppey water on them but will this work ? does any 1 have any other answers ??  ??? ???

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 17:09:55 »
I also have Whitefly in all my bins, at home & on the plots.
I use 'BUG clear', every week - tough to get rid of them but they don't do a lot of harm anyway.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 06:40:27 »
.... i was only saying to my friend that i needed to take the Dyson to the plot to 'hoover' the carpets that i have spread around and now i have to do the compost bin.
It's not really fair that i now have housework to do at the lottie when i try and escape doing it at home......
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007, 16:30:43 »
EEEWW! I found those critters on me sprouts last week!

I presume they're full of protein ... I forgot to wash the sprouts before boiling 'em  ::)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 16:02:44 »
 ;D Hi Sawfish,what about filling the compost bins or what ever with smoke in some way,that kills most things.
May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John. J.R.P.
www.recycling.moonfruit.com designed to help save lives. John. J.R.P.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 07:43:30 »
I have these flying around the remains of my brassica plot. Will they go when I pull the plants out? Of I sprayed with water with Jeyes fluid, would it be safe to eat the veg if any got on the plants?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 10:18:10 »
I'd be a bit careful about spraying Jay's on edibles. Just aim a jet of water at them if you don't want to use pest control products.
Whitefly on brassica's are different to greenhouse whitefly. The brassica ones don't actuallt do that much damage, it's their excretions which can cause a black mold to form but it's almost always just on outer leaves anyway.
The greenhouse sort suck sap from the under parts of leaves and cause real damage. Pretty hard to get rid of unless you resort to a pestacide or introduce that there parasitic wasp...got the name some place if you want it....you can buy via mail order....very effective.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal