Author Topic: recommended preserving book?  (Read 7591 times)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: recommended preserving book?
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2005, 10:24:50 »
My trusty favourite is: May Byron's Jam Book.
Alas, probably out of print and first published by Hodder and Stoughton, probably between the wars. Straightforward recipes, in plain English, covering every fruit you can think of. Worth its weight in gold.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2005, 11:26:36 »
As said, the HMSO one is the one I lean upon. Because it's a Government thing which I rely upon for method rather than recipe. BUT - my copy is 1989, & one must be careful about changing ideas on preserving. Like we used to bottle vegetables. Like corn & beans. They look so good in jars.

If anyone can't read their photocopies, I'll happily mail you any doubtful pages.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2005, 16:36:01 »
As said, the HMSO one is the one I lean upon. Because it's a Government thing which I rely upon for method rather than recipe. BUT - my copy is 1989, & one must be careful about changing ideas on preserving. Like we used to bottle vegetables. Like corn & beans. They look so good in jars.

If anyone can't read their photocopies, I'll happily mail you any doubtful pages.

To be honest, I don't know why those things aren't still in there.
Yes, freezing is better and quicker and less likely to go wrong and everyone has one, but I'm nearly out of freezer space and I have finally educated all the folk I know to give me bottles which I choose the best of; I would dearly love to bottle my beans! (That and I'd go SPARE if we had a power cut!*)

I think orange tomato passata will be made any day now.  And I'm definitely bottling that!

moonbells

*actually if we had a serious power cut I'd be bottling the stuff out of the freezer as fast as I could!

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Catherine

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2005, 09:17:43 »
 ;DThanks for all the ideas, just ordered the hmso one from amazon....
Catherine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal