Author Topic: Other ways to eat runner beans  (Read 7739 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Other ways to eat runner beans
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2005, 06:25:37 »
While waiting for an answer, I've also asked them how a 'powerful 25W motor' can do more than power a light bulb!!

Emma - does a Mouli get tom seeds out?

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2005, 15:00:06 »
Tim (and anyone else interested) I just cracked and bought myself the Passata machine. Turns out that Seeds of Italy is not far from where I work so I saved myself the postage and got it sooner!

Very simple mechanism: spring-loaded paddles push the tomatoes round against a mesh with holes which look to be about 1.5mm diameter. Any skin or seeds pop out down a chute while the pulp and juice shoot off down a second chute and the paddles push in to pass a barrier so the skins don't keep going round.  The chap at SofI (Paulo) said you can put the skins through a second time to extract the most pulp.  To clean, the whole lot comes to bits and goes in the dishwasher apart from the springloading bit, which also comes to bits to rinse under the tap. It's quite large (foot square box) but a large chunk of the space is the tray for collecting the passata. You need a separate bowl to collect the skins and the whole lot sticks to the worktop with one of those vacuum seals.

I hope to try it out over the weekend!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2005, 12:18:33 »
......makes me wonder if an ordinary juicer will do the job for tomatoes, they normally have a very fine mesh type seive attached, don't they?
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2005, 16:24:40 »
'Juicers' tend to give you juice, rather than pulp (ie purée)?

Good description, Moonbells! I'm still hooked on the thing doing the work for me. But I'm listening!

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2005, 16:40:41 »
This sounds a interesting thread. I like the Idea of the pulper. I suppose you could use it to take the seeds out of raspberries and blackberies also. This means you can make seedles jams :D Yummy Raspbery and blackberry Jam  ;D
Keep us updated folks on how these things test out :)

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2005, 22:33:03 »
'Juicers' tend to give you juice, rather than pulp (ie purée)?

Good description, Moonbells! I'm still hooked on the thing doing the work for me. But I'm listening!

Well I just had a play. Reduced another pile of toms to four jamjars of passata, which got boiled for 20 mins so I hope are nice and sterile now.

First pass squashes the tomatoes and gets out mostly juice and some pulp.
Second pass gets out a lot of pulp.  The smaller seeds do escape through - if you're very fussy about seeds them you can put the resultant passata through a sieve manually, but it's a *lot* easier to do than pushing the unsquashed pulp and rather defeats the object (unless you're doing cherries: see below!).

It was dead easy to do. Handle turns easily and is fun to do.  I think it's even safe for small fingers thanks to the popping paddles.

I pulped some of all three types of tomato that I grew - sungella (orange), Cream Sausage (pale yellow plum passata tomato) and cherries (mix of gartenperle and tumbler).  A lot of the cherry tom seeds went through.  Some Sungellas did but the winner was of course the tom bred for passata -  less by volume initially than the sungella but still out pulped it easily as it has fewer, larger seeds. 

Bottled the yellow and orange passata.  The red is in the fridge for tomorrow's lunch :)

And it was easy to take to bits and clean. Even the spindle for the spring bit popped open for washing.

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2005, 09:04:41 »
See Recipes.

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2005, 15:43:04 »
This has been a really interesting thread!  Yesterday I picked 9lbs of runners which were 'in the green' (the rest are for seeds).  I made 'ruscan' soup, runners, onions, spuds, garlic, a few toms, a courgette or two ~ I processed the soup and then pushed it through a seive which took ages, but such a lot of string!! Next time I won't bother with the outer part which is so delicious young but use the beans instead. 
Should I find one of these moulis that you are all talking about at a car boot, I might include the green bit!
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2005, 16:00:39 »
I am making runner bean soup - lots of runners, onion, garlic, potato, water, veggie stock, bay leaves.  So far seems to taste nice - has a sweet edge.

Oh yes runner bean soup is nice! My mum made some with a batch of my surply and it was delicious.

You can also make chutney with runner beans.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal