Author Topic: I want to be alone  (Read 4548 times)

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
Re: I want to be alone
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2005, 09:47:02 »
Hi Wardy,

Excellent photos! Was in Northumberland for the first time in August this year, certainly won't be the last time! We stayed in a cottage on an organic farm, the kids had two absolutely beautiful border collies to play with every day and I could dream about owning the farm! We had some of the best fish and chips we've ever tasted in Seahouses, made all the better by eating them straight after a quite bouncy trip to the Farne Islands. I used to say if I won the lottery I'd move to Cornwall, but after going to Northumberland I'm not so sure now...

Cheers,
Rob. ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2005, 09:53:34 »
Lots of people move to Cornwall when they retire (I used to live there), they very often get isolated, one of them dies or falls ill, and the other ends up stuck. If you're younger, you might have kids to think about; it's the lowest wage area in the country, with very few jobs, and a very long way from universities etc. You can certainly make a go of it, but you really do need to be able to become part of the local communty. Not everyone has the skills for that. The same probably goes for any remote area. I eventually left because I wanted to study, and the facilities just weren't there.

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2005, 21:28:48 »
It was nt that long since i went myself and i can reccomend the Craster arms at Beadnall for food and drink certainly

a good mix for Caravans and very nice houses to rent for the week

carl

Beatiful pictures

the beach at Bamburgh was very nice too just incase Alnwick (pronounced anick byt the locals or anyone whos knows it) was a beautiful place to visit
another member of i forgot my password

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2005, 14:41:23 »
Aaaaaaaaargh!! You're coming to visit my lottie!  I'm so embarrassed  I haven't done a thing with it!  I'd be dead pleased though  ;D  ;D

I don't know where to start with it. I'm stuck. I'm kurfuffled. Might be getting some old fence posts from a family member,if there are any lying about after he's had a new fence put in. That would be the biggest boost...getting a fence. Then I could have some chickens and they could help with the weeds and ...and ...and... 

You didn't meet the locals then?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 15:28:38 by Heldi »

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2005, 19:28:35 »
Rob, that cottage sounds ideal for OH and son!  You wouldn't care to share a name and agent would you?  ;D

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2005, 00:10:37 »
I visited Northumbria for the first time at the end of July and the coach trip co-incided with 'The Tall Ships Race' - I loved my visits to Lindisfarne, Holy Island, Bamburgh Castle, Alnwick, & Craster - where they still smoke the herrings which now come over frozen from Norway I think they said, and  found the whole area 'magical'......

The day spent in Gateshead where all the beautiful ships were moored  was an incredible day and we were 'swept along' with thousands of others in the excitement of it all....the Millenium Bridge (winking bridge) was a fabulous sight and I was lucky enough to cross over it twice in the course of the day - the second time, there were so many people on it that security people & police were ensuring that everyone kept on the move and no-one then was allowed to take photos, as they had been earlier in the day...think perhaps they were 'fearful' for peoples safety because of huge numbers.

I definitely would like to return to the area - so very beautiful.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal