Author Topic: My 'harvest' today  (Read 11373 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
My 'harvest' today
« on: September 17, 2005, 17:14:08 »
Look what I harvested today - black gold!   ;D

And here it is, 75 litres finely sieved and ready to use.   :)

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

wardy

• Hectare
Re: My 'harvest' today
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 17:23:25 »
Oooooooooh luvly - looks like you bought it from Harrods  ;D

I helped my lotty neighbour turn hers out today.  It's been covered up for three years (in a New Zealand bin).  It looked fantastic and everything completely broken down.  We were ooing and aaaaghing right like nits  ;D

Are you using your stuff for potting compost ?
I came, I saw, I composted

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 17:25:33 »
Delicious!  You will have the best fed ground for miles!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 17:27:52 »
ROLF, Wardy!!!  I just love harvesting compost and the smell is so wonderful.  And yes, I will use some of it in pots.  I've tried it before and it works a treat.   :D

Thanks Emma.   :)

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 17:54:30 »
;D Wow looks great ;D How long did it take you make that?

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 18:56:06 »
Great stuff Georgie - How long did it take you to make it ??
 ;)
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 19:19:45 »
It's rather hard to say how long it took.  That's the second 'half bin' I've had this year so I suppose between 3-6 months.  Sorry to be so vague!   ::)

I think composting is just wonderful.  Got the bin free from the council last year and since then there's been no stopping me.   ;D

G xx

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 19:50:30 »
Hm I think we know how long the compost actualy takes to make, I think what we are asking (or at least i am) is how long di it take you to seive that lot of compost?

My compost can be a bit lumpy (I dont have enough patience with it) which makes it difficult to work with. I have tried seiving in the past but the time it takes and the associated backache (i am tall so more bending), usualy puts me off or results in too small quantities of compost to be realy usefull.

can i also ask what method of seiving you used?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 20:00:47 »
Hi GC.  I think the others wanted to know how long the composting process took, it's so variable isn't it?  But in terms of how long it took me sieve, I suppose between 30 minutes and an hour?  My method?  Err, I put some compost in the sieve and shake it vigorously over the trug shown in the pic.  Is there an easier/better way???

G xx

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 20:05:04 »
Hi Georgie  :D- thanks for that - Yes I for one wanted to know how long it takes to make the compost, I had no idea and thought it stretched over years !  ::) ::) ::) ;D

It looks like beautiful rich stuff.
x

GS - I too am tall (5 ft 10) and it would kill me to sieve all that in one go !  ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 20:11:33 »
Hi Marianne.  I've read a lot about composting and it's taken me a while to get it right but you can get decent compost in about 6 months from a 'darlek' type bin if you follow a few simple rules.  I've also read so much rubbish (particularly on the Beeb boards) about composting I'm thinking of writing a book to dispell the myths.  ;)

G xx

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 20:39:22 »
You can get rotosieves for home made compost.  It's like a sieve but with a handle  :)

Not got one meself though

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 20:43:12 »
Oh right, I'll look into that.  Mind you, you can get shredders too but I have to make do with secateurs (spelling?) and patience.  ;)

G xx

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2005, 20:53:04 »
Yes indeed Georgie, secateurs is spelt correctly !

;D ;) :D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2005, 21:00:27 »
Really, M?  Shucks, I'm so proud.   :)

G xx

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2005, 21:05:46 »
Hmmm just Googled rotosieves and they appear to be between £40 and £60 pounds.  Seems a lot for what they are?

G xx

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2005, 22:34:58 »
Hi Georgie!! Well done with your compost! I harvested mine today and was feeling so proud I was going to post a pic on here. Came on here, and you have done the same!!! I love how gardeners can get excited about compost!!

I have not sieved mine yet, but have decanted it into 4 x 75 litre bags, so I can start to fill the compost bin with this summer's waste. Very satisfying. I will sieve it and spread some of it out on the garden later in the year and keep some back for my containers next year.

Well done again!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2005, 00:31:04 »
  :) :) :):)
Jealous jealous jealous........please can I make compost like that when I am a grown up allotmenteer????!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2005, 10:57:42 »
I forgot to mention I harvested mine recently too. Or at the very least gave what was ready its final turn into the storage bin (I have 3 bins, 1 making, one 'brewing' and a third to store and finish off).

Didnt intend to but after having carefully filled the storage bin, promptly started using the compost in it whilst doing some planting yesterday!

After a lot of trial and error i now have my own system of composting that works very well (for me at least).

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2005, 11:20:32 »
When I do any sieving GC I sit on the floor and do it as I have a bad back  :)
These are my compost bins (the pallet box is also full of compost)  I have two more bins on order as well.  They call me the Compost Queen on our lotties  ;D

Georgie have you made any manure growbag compost yet?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 22:54:13 by wardy »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal