Author Topic: Coverings.  (Read 2109 times)

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
Coverings.
« on: September 16, 2005, 20:38:14 »
I covered my Greenhouse with a blue builders mesh at the beginning of summer to keep the heat off. I am now wondering if I should take it off to allow extra light in?? do you think it would also keep cold out if I left it on or is that ridiculous??

So basically I'm asking, when if at all do I remove it?

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Coverings.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 21:01:27 »
I would be inclined to remove it, as it will definitely reduce the light levels. If you are concerned about temperatures, then the bubble wrap sheeting inside is considered a good method of grabbing a couple of extra degrees ...

Derekthefox :D

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 21:26:16 »
I've been keeping my bubble wrap so I've got loads, I'll get it out and might uncover the GH at the weekend. This if my first season with the house and i love it! Should have got one years ago!!
Thanks for the advice.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 11:57:28 »
Hi

Geoff Hamilton done a trail with bubble wrap several years ago, he sub divided a greenhouse into two parts, one part bubble wrapped and the other not (bubble wrapped).  He measured the temperature in the non bubble wrapped part of the GH and when it got to 32 degrees F (freezing point), he then measured the temperature in the bubble wrapped part of the greenhouse this read 48 degrees F.  I think that works out to roughly to 9 degrees C.  Shows its worth bubble wrapping.
Trouble is I don't remember the rest, how long did it stay at a higher temp etc.  Re-reading I'm not sure if this is of any help at all, but I tried.

MikeB

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal