Author Topic: beans - fixed trenches v rotation?  (Read 6679 times)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: beans - fixed trenches v rotation?
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2005, 09:29:54 »
I rotate every year.
For one small patch of french beans, I have 2 old rose arches, cheap metal ones, which push about a foot into the ground to secure them. I site them about 6' apart, then run canes horizontally between them, which the beans latch onto as they grow.

I find this easier than putting up wigwams, and just wish I could find some more on a skip somewhere...

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2005, 12:29:13 »
One advantage of not rotating that hasn't been mentioned is that the inoculum levels of the Rhizobacter from year to year cropping on the same area are always higher than if the crop is moved every year. Infection will occur sooner as a result.. This means that the plants are manufacturing N in larger quantities earlier than having to wait for the bacterium levels to build up again.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2005, 12:36:29 »
I understand these Rhizobacteria are species specific, but are they variety specific ?

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2005, 13:20:40 »
I have never seen that sort of information. With the tiny genetic differences between cvs. I would wonder if the bacteria need to be that specifically adapted. Alternatively, given this tiny difference, it may be that the bacteria are able to select among themselves (Darwinially [?] speaking) that quickly that it doesn't make much of a difference. Disease bacteria certainly seem to adapt to new cvs. quickly enough, if that is the case!

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2005, 17:19:30 »
Finished my trench today, thickly lined it with newspaper and put the first lot of kitchen waste on. Oh it is satisfying to get a job completed. ;D As long as the other guys don't go and check how straight it is! They laugh at OH's potato rows and think he's been on the booze when he digs ;D I don't want that reputation (even if there may be a bit of truth in it ;D)

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2005, 21:33:57 »
I am a big believer in rotation. Would not like to take the risk of spoiling my soil. :-[
read this: http://mtvernon.wsu.edu/plant_pathology/veg_rotations.htm

That is a veeerrry long time rotation :D

blight

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2005, 22:45:44 »
but as merry tiller wrote:
Some of the old boys at our site haven't moved them for decades and they grow the best runners I've seen
beats all  science.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2005, 22:53:03 »
Absolutely ;D

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2005, 23:40:44 »
Like redclanger I will rotate the position of my beans.

There are few plants that work so much in our favour - spreading their nitrogenous goodies where ever they go!!

Seems a waste not to spread their good work, and I'm sure it saves us a few £'s on the on the fertilisers!!

Undercarriageplan!  Thought I would lift a few of my bean roots to store them as recommended and see what happens. 

I would suspect that one can steal a march on the growing season.  But I have no idea if they are then caught up by the new seasons plants.  I shall have to wait and see!
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2005, 23:47:52 »
I have angle iron posts in bean trench with an angle iron stretcher across to support canes from both sides...
I grow runners in same place every year  ...
A trench is dug  soil put to one side ,shredded paper or screwed up news paper in bottom then a good layer of compost ,manure etc, then about six inch of soil on top .This is the soil put back  from top of pile dug out which was last years new compost, manure, which beans grew in .So I think in a strange way the soil is getting changed  in trench as i always have a couple of barrows to take away every year .   cheers Jim...
Cheers .. Jim

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2005, 18:11:39 »
This gives some idea of my 'lean' - showing the 'A' supports.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2005, 21:21:51 »
That help a lot in visualising it Tim.  I have to say that is an impressively tidy veg garden as well!

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal