Author Topic: Personal Messages  (Read 8655 times)

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
Personal Messages
« on: September 15, 2005, 10:22:12 »
Hi,

In response to emails I have received from several users, I would like to point out some features of the site.

Personal Messages

It is possible to block all personal messages from one or more users, in your profile options, on the left hand side is the option Personal Message Options.  From here you can block personal messages from one or more users.  When a blocked user tries to send you a message they receive a message to the effect of, 'you can not send this member a message, they have blocked you'.

It is also possible to report a personal message to the administrators of the site, there is a link Report this message to an administrator, clicking on this enables you to send the message and comments, which can then be acted on if required.

Also please remember to respect other users of this site, I find it incredible that people abuse others via the anonymous nature of personal messages, remember that it is a privilege which can be removed, I hope that does not become necessary.

I hope this is of use to the people having problems.

Dan

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Personal Messages
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 10:39:09 »
I, for one, am willing to go into print to say how sad I find this state of affairs. I find this such a happy site, the thought of abusive or offensive personal messages whizzing around definitely makes me feel uncomfortable. I presume the senders of these messages have no intentions of trying to resolve their grievances in a mature way. Blocking to me is such an ugly restriction to have to impose, but of course, I accept that sometimes it is necessary.

Perhaps I am just too naive ...

Derekthefox :D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 10:57:26 »
Many thanks for this facility Dan :)  I hope I never have cause to use it,  but it is nice to  know it is there.

So glad to see you are still with us Derek, I too am a member of naive society :) - cannot believe that people could be so vicious as to send these types of messages.  Don't let them win :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 11:01:36 »
Thanks Dan, I hope no-one ever needs to use it.  This is such a friendly caring site, a real pleasure to chat with lovely people, long may it continue...

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 12:14:18 »
Well, well, well, reading between the lines, it would seem that we have been invaded by someone who is obviously sick and perverted.   How sad for that person.   They should be pitied rather than vilified.   And if they hide behind anonymity, they are a coward to boot.   At least the misguided suicide bomber faces his victims.   Thank goodness Dan has the presence of mind to provide and to point out the blocking facility.   I don't intend to use it.   If the sick person wants to have a go at me, they are welcome.   In doing so they will come out into the open, and Dan will very quickly know about it, so that they can be blocked to everyone forever.
Thanks for the message Da.
Regards Colin.
Every best wish, Colin.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 13:50:46 »
Thank Dan,
It is sad that some abuse this lovely site

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 16:40:13 »
And on the up-side, I have only received very pleasant pm's so far.
I think it is not as common as it now may seem that nasty pm's are sent.
No matter what happens, do not forget or forsake all the supportive people here when one person is being nasty please, just block the creep.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 17:17:24 »
It is a bit sad to think that we have anyone on this lovely friendly site, who would send abusive pm's.  I do hope when it happens they are fully exposed and I welcome this new facility if it protects the lovely people on a4a.  Thank you Dan for all your trouble and care in giving us such a wonderful message board.  I, like Ina have only ever received lovely friendly pm's which I am sure will have been the vast majority.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 17:37:22 »
I can say with all honesty that I have never received any abusive pm's either.
Nor would I send any.

jock_edin

• Quarter Acre
  • I Love All This Hard Work
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 18:27:34 »
I am totally amazed somebody comes along and spoils something hundreds of people get genuine pleasure from. I have been a member about 3 years now  and still getting the hang of how to get around a4a. I thought something was wrong earlier when I couldn't get on but never crossed my mind it was something like this, so to whoever it is go to an adult site there must be plenty for you.  Keep up the good work Dan its appreciated.
                                      jock_edin

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 19:55:23 »
Earier when we had the problem, it was my fault :-[

I was changing the software the board runs on slightly, and made a mistake!

Eeeek ...

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 20:11:52 »
dan! ;D :-*
ooo-nasty messages?
horrible people......well-i hope whoevers getting them arent put off coming to the site-theres always someone wanting to stick the boot in-ignoring them cuts off their oxygen
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

hemajo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 09:43:56 »
dan! ;D :-*
ooo-nasty messages?
horrible people......well-i hope whoevers getting them arent put off coming to the site-theres always someone wanting to stick the boot in-ignoring them cuts off their oxygen
I agree, although having once received a very unpleasant phone call, it is difficult to put this into practice :-[   At the time I thought I handled it well - but when I put the phone down, I ran round the house locking all the doors!!!

I used to frequent a gardening forum which was sadly invaded by (I can only presume) teenagers who completely ruined it, but it wasn't administrated.  So it is fantastic that this site is looked after by Dan so well. 
Helen

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 15:27:10 »
Derek are you hot as your shirt is off again you trying to get us women going  :o :o :o

thanks Dan for the info but i can gladly say that i have never received nasty pm i just feel sorry for the peeps that are receiving them

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 15:41:14 »
Dibber !

As if I would, after all I am a gentleman !

It has been suggested, that I do one in my trunks ...   ;)

Further disclosures will have to remain within pm's, Messenger or the Watershed  ;D ;D ;D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005, 16:21:24 »
derek!
enoughs enough man!
we will have a case of the vapours!
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2005, 17:04:42 »
Then for you Kitty, I will be suitably discrete if I can . . .  ;)

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2005, 19:17:47 »
Thank you Dan !  ;D

It is a pity I did not know about the "block" facility when I got all those nasty PMs.  It is also a shame one would have to use it as this has always been a really nice site with very nice people.

However it seems the game is over now and I have been left in peace.  ;)
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2005, 20:03:22 »
awwwww......marrianne.....hope you can feel better soon-that sort of thing always leaves you feeling a bit wary-not knowing anything about it i would assume(hope)that it wasnt a regular on here ..just someone being a jerk.
so-get back to enjoying a4a!
luv kitty ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2005, 20:13:32 »
I echo Kitty's words Marianne ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal