Author Topic: Nother newbie  (Read 9694 times)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: Nother newbie
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2005, 08:11:00 »
Hi Plastic Bag ;D (nice name) Welcome aboard, this is where the excitement begins, a good time to start on the lottie and still plenty to do ;D

As others have said, dig a small patch, plant something on it then dig another patch and so on, or should that have been sow on ;D anyway enjoying it is the key. ;)

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2005, 08:47:24 »
Hi Petra  ;D Welcome to the world of allotmenteering!
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2005, 08:48:18 »
Ditto to plastic pig  ;D
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2005, 15:55:22 »
Most people think I'm either mad or joking when I talk about my allotment BUT have talked one friend into getting her own plot on my site (her dad used to have one there about forty years ago) and another friend has agreed to help me fit a roof on the shed and do some digging. Hee! Also been given seeds and advice, most of which I've forgotten.

Anyway, to become really sad you have to blog about it.  :-[
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2005, 16:33:36 »
I'm a newbie toobie,

I visited my allotment for the first time on friday and came away having made two new friends and with my arms full of freshly dug & picked carrots & runners - and by the looks of it all the allotmenteers here are a similarly friendly bunch.

I've only taken on half a plot at the mo coz the other half is a rather large and disturbing mound, but who knows - once the lump's been flattenedover the winter and my son (1 yr old) gets a bit more involved i may well need the extra space.
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2005, 22:25:22 »
Hi Plastic Bag ;D (nice name) Welcome aboard,

Oops! sorry :-[ I misread your handle ::) ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2005, 14:24:38 »
My other half is a rather large and disturbing mound as well  ;D

I'll get me coat ..... :-[
I came, I saw, I composted

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2005, 14:48:39 »
fnar fnar ;D
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2005, 17:31:24 »
welcome on board :)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Lotty-Shackman

• Let's get diggin
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2005, 11:05:21 »
A free shed? Wow what a find, but you want to take care on entering it without some lighting in hand! If it took some finding (covered up by overgrown surroundings) you want to keep it looking like that to secure anything you may keep inside.  Appart from storage, lotty shacks are always handy should you get caught short by the weather, keep an eye out for a piece of second-hand furniture to sit out those wet moments in peace and quiet. 8)
Shack-on.......

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2005, 11:22:58 »
Hello Shackman  :)  The shed has to be the hub of the lotty doesn't it  :)  I help on a communal one and we have a chalk board in it and we leave messages for each other, esp if we get caught in rain and have nothing else better to do.  We keep a stock of lager in there for emergencies if we get "trapped" in there by rain  :)

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2005, 14:11:22 »
What a nice idea, Wardy.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2005, 14:18:25 »
One note I read on there last week was from a guy who had "become trapped" inside the shed and been forced to listen to the test match and had to drink all the lager to survive, with a PS to Red Leader to get more lager  ;D

Petra

• Not So New ...
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2005, 13:40:23 »
Well still waiting to take control of the plot......should all happen this Sunday, can't wait.
In the meantime decided to have a rakeover of the compost bin that I started at home (dalek from the council) and was absolutely gobsmacked at the fantastic compost within. :)
OH thinks Ive finally flipped as I didn't shut up about it all night but I felt a real sense of achievement. He was still in shock at me dragging him over to his brothers house where the builders had left palletts and buckets and I put them all in the back of his car. The final straw was me sitting all the way home with a washing machine drum on my lap that I then put a big plant and plant-pot in it. I think it looks brill!! ;D
Any other re-cycling ideas for me??

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2005, 13:50:27 »
What is it about washing machine drums this week? Wells, incinerators and now plant holders. I'm missing out here, will have to acquire one and put it to a use nobody's thought of yet! :D

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2005, 14:09:50 »
What is it about washing machine drums this week? Wells, incinerators and now plant holders. I'm missing out here, will have to acquire one and put it to a use nobody's thought of yet! :D

Washing? :o

Coat on, already out the door...

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

tracey19

• Not So New ...
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2005, 16:19:03 »
Hi Petra,

I took a huge step and got a full plot and never done any gardening myself, feel like Christmas has come!!!

Can't wait to get started! Hope all goes well for you.
tra

only small

• Not So New ...
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2005, 20:24:49 »
Well done you for taking the plunge! I did it a couple of months ago and everything is doing great, which is very surprising as most things that i do seem to do go pear shaped ;D
Lucky you on the shed, Mine fell through (almost literally!) so will have to do without :'(
Nevermind,at least the car boot is lockable!
Don't forget to enjoy yourself.
My mantra is "Mud is Marvelous!"

Only Small

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2005, 21:57:41 »
Recycling is a bit contagious and you get that you can't throw stuff away in case you might find a use for it.  EJ gave me a good tip (and there's loads on the tips thread) to cut up plastic milk cartons to make plant labels.  They also make good measuring jugs (as they have measurements on) and I also use them filled with water (and water bottles) to weigh down my sheet mulches

reedos

• Half Acre
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2005, 22:06:30 »
Recycling is a bit contagious and you get that you can't throw stuff away in case you might find a use for it. EJ gave me a good tip (and there's loads on the tips thread) to cut up plastic milk cartons to make plant labels. They also make good measuring jugs (as they have measurements on) and I also use them filled with water (and water bottles) to weigh down my sheet mulches

Bet you can't go past a skip without rummaging around for a bit either - family disowns me when I salvage some useful piece of something that might come in handy for some unspecified purpose sometime in the future ;D

Talking about sheds, I must be a proper allotmenteer now - got invited to the old boy in the corners shed for mid morning coffee with the old chaps. Boy can they swear :o

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal