Author Topic: Nother newbie  (Read 9651 times)

Petra

• Not So New ...
Nother newbie
« on: September 14, 2005, 16:56:55 »
Well, Ive been dithering for the last week or so as to whether to take the plunge and get an allotment. Ive been to see one today and am going for it. I was originally going to have a half plot but the reckless side of me has taken over and Ive gone for a full one!
Im so excited but a novice so please bear with me as I will no doubt start to ask the most stupid of questions over the foreseeable future!
Im really impressed with the site, I feel like Im joining a secret society!!!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: Nother newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 17:00:48 »
Hi Petra!!
Its not a secret society, although when I blether on to my friends about it they behave as if I have joined the Masons!!
I got my plot in June, so know how exciting it is...well done you for getting a full plot....I have one and already worry about having enough space when all my grand plans finally work out!!
Welcome, and enjoy!!

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 17:04:27 »
Hi Petra,nice to see you on this site, dont worry about asking questions, we all do, enjoy your plot, try to take pictures from the first time you started working, plenty to read in the different pages,
all the best
windy :D
my allotment
heaven

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 17:47:24 »
How did you find out about this 'secret site' I was googling to find out about  carpeting a lounge ;D. I bet they wished it was secret when I logged on.

Come on everybody tell us how you found out.

There will be a free tip on how to conquer weeds as a prize for the most original answer.

reedos

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 22:10:57 »
Welcome to the club - have you gone through the initiation yet, the goat doesn't bite honest - or is that my other club ?
I was googling for red spider mite when I stumbled across this site. I still don't post much, but read a lot.
My OH and friends just shake their heads sadly when they see me on here and generally pass some comment about flat caps, pigeons and whippets, stereotypes are alive and kicking here in Gateshead !!
You'll be glad you got a full plot, there's nothing worse than running out of space and you don't have to do it all at once.
We all ask "stupid" questions, but there's always someone here who knows the answer. Enjoy your plot ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 22:44:51 »
No secret about the A4A no membership, no signing in, no credentials needed and no worries about stupid questions, as I hold the record and will not be beaten ::) ;D

You are now entering the most exciting part of allotmenteering, what with all the questions and what to do where to start, fire away I will still learn something here. ;) Welcome aboard ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 22:52:22 »
Welcome Petra!

I was pointed this way by another member when I was posting on another, much less fun, sight!  ;D

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 07:41:28 »
Welcome Petra

The only stupid question is the unasked one.

Search engine looking for an answer on tomatoes,  strange thing is I found answers to questions that it never occurred to me to ask.  Great site.

Regards

MikeB

Petra

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 13:56:57 »
Well Ive picked the plot now.....had a choice of 8. Its a bit overgrown to say the least at the back of the plot, mainly by bindweed and there seems to be a lovely crop of hollyhocks at the front with a magnificent pampas grass. Itching to get going but the treasurers away and it all got a bit complicated!There is a meeting on the 2nd and I hand ove my fees then, get my key and away we go.
Plenty of bed-time reading til then on allotments/vegetables/weeds........ :D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 14:10:37 »
My OH and friends just shake their heads sadly when they see me on here and generally pass some comment about flat caps, pigeons and whippets

Have you been watching me reedos???? ;D  ;D   ;D

Welcome Petra, no question too stupid!  Someone out there will always know the answer  :)  Take it slow and take piccies.

I like EJ was pointed here by another member, from probably the same less fun site!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Linda32

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 14:13:04 »
Hi, I'm a newbie as well, good isn't it  :)

This site was mentioned on another gardening site, so I had a look around  ;D

Petra

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 14:25:35 »
Thanks to you all for the kind welcomes, I found the site "googling" specifically fro allotment related info and found that this one seemed the best.
Better drag myself away now and get back to work :(

hemajo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 15:42:14 »
If my old man ever googles and finds this site I'm in dead lumber . Called him a cabbage earlier on ere earlier  :o
Mine was amused last night to find me tapping away at the computer - 'talking' to all my 'allotment pals' as he put it!  I assured him I was doing essential research!  He may have commented along the 'how sad' route.  But he spends a lot of time on mountain biking sites - and I think that's sad!!
Helen

mellor

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 12:51:50 »
I've had a load of stick for getting an allotment never mind researching stuff. People keep saying i'm old before my time but sod em!  ;D

RosieM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 13:20:35 »
Hi Petra,

Welcome.

When you tackle that Pampas grass make sure you wear long sleeves and a stout pair of gloves!!  ;)

People, mainly my children, think I am a real saddo for inhabiting the allotment boards.  ;D

RosieM

Petra

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005, 13:43:54 »
Thanks for that tip.....my OH keeps looking slightly aghast when he walks into my home office and spots  me on the site!

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2005, 19:07:33 »
Well done on your plot Petra.   Never mind about 'stupid' questions - I could go ask them for England  ;D

I don't suppose there's a prize for the most boring answer - but I found A4A while googling in order to find an allotment to rent!!  Bonus, or what  :D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2005, 20:24:50 »
Isn't it odd the way folks think allotments are "sad".  Why would growing cheap nutrituous, fanastic tasting food be sad?

I think it's they who are sad! :)

I came, I saw, I composted

Petra

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2005, 20:40:29 »
Thanks for that tip.....my OH keeps looking slightly aghast when he walks into my home office and spots  me on the site!

He looked even more aghast when I took him down to the allotment yesterday to see the plot for the first time!! I cant wait to get started but have to wait til the 2nd when I can hand over my rent. Have been reading up all day and drawing plans but want to start now!! ;D

Plastic Pig

• Not So New ...
  • Do ....The Truffle Shuffle with Me!!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2005, 06:45:28 »
Like you I have just taken on a new allotment :oh and what a lot of clearing to find the earth let alone where to dig!    not to be defeated my husband armed with super powered petrol strimmer managed to clear well over half of the ten foot high (bit of an fib there!)weeds. I discovered an overgrown shed behind a big tree which needs a torch to see into to make sure nothing lurks within! After several tea breaks and a lot of raking we felt as if we had made good progress.
We both are looking forward to our new pastime and know it will be full of trials and errors but a lot of laughs as well!
On returning home my teenage son asked me what I had planted and had it grown! Must get him trained up to this lottie lark!
Happy as a Pig in  ..... an allotment!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal