Author Topic: cold calling  (Read 9979 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: cold calling
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2005, 23:28:02 »
I can't stand people trying to convert me to their religions, they ask me whether I'm interested, or some such, and of course I am (I'm a Methodist preacher), then show a total lack of interest in anything but their own ideas. Most of which I've heard more times than I could count.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005, 23:40:01 »
Never let on that your are non religious,you end up having to poke them off your doorstep with a Sh*itt*y stick.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 23:50:45 by Heldi »

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2005, 00:08:05 »
Some inspired tips here, especially Aqui's  ;D
Reminds me of OH's method in dealing with political callers, "Oh, yes, I'll be voting - but I can't tell you who for, because it's a secret ballot, isn't it?"  ;D

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2005, 00:56:19 »
One the ways I deal with cold callers on the phone is to tell them that I'm busy right now but if they'll give me their home number I'll be sure to call them back later, when they tell me that they're not prepared to give me their home number I ask them why not, they're f***ing calling mine.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2005, 10:13:23 »
Ha ha Heldi, I will have to remember that method ...  ;D
Really tickled me that ...

Derekthefox :D

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2005, 12:58:56 »
Or you could try my most embarrassing moment. I told MBNA that they could call me because I had the phone blocked la la la. They went to hassle of finding out and I hadn't sorted it out yet. However, they had the hassle of finding out and reminding me!!

However, my sister tried one of the best a few years ago with double glazing salesmen- Sorry we live in a council house. Phone goes down ever time!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2005, 14:06:31 »
My brother is disgusting, he farts down the reciever and  puts it down. 

It's always amazed me how people can brew one up on the spot for any occasion.

Don't ever use the phone in my brother's house.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2005, 14:23:13 »
Heldi - shame aroma can't be transmitted down the phone line as well as sound...
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2005, 14:48:32 »
Ha ha Heldi, I love it !

I thought that was only me with that toilet humour !

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2005, 15:25:08 »
Well having been influenced by the likes of my older brother I have a healthy regard for humour of the toilet kind.  I posted a joke on the beeb the other day and I guess I'm the only one who found it funny.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2005, 17:13:10 »
Heldi,
One reason I quit using the Beeb was its lack of a sense of humour. And the language filter which prohibited some basic gardening terms ! But I came here, so it was a blessing in disguise eh?

Have you got a new avatar? Very nice, please keep it !

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2005, 19:49:27 »
I'm bothered by JW every day - I have two in my class.  Makes it a right problem teaching RE (although I do think all British schools should be secular and that RE is a subject for the home) and Christmas/birthdays etc.  Not as bad as New Lifers though who are just down right rascist.  Once got told by a New Lifer that there children weren't allowed on a trip to Leicester to look round a Gurdwara - you can guess the reason - I am not going to restate it.  Anyway, whil with JWs it is live and let live, with New Lifers is is f*** off you rascist ****s.  Think they are Britain's equivlent of the religious right that currently rules US politics.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2005, 19:54:35 »
I get about 50 cold calls a day at the office.  I have 2 options which both work very well.

1.  I put the phone down.  Sometimes they call back, more often
     they don't.

2.  I do like Ace and say I am going to put them through to my
     boss and then I just rest the receiver on my desk so that
     they can hear the typing and I keep them hanging. 

I too have registered with the TPS to no avail.  :-\ :(
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2005, 23:22:37 »
I don't have problems with JW's in class as round here the parents tend to withdraw them from RE. The only difficulty then is the odd one who thinks they can just play around since they're not doing the lesson. I do think RE should be taught in school, as otherwise many kids would learn nothing at all about religion, which is central to the lives of a large proportion of the human race, and very few indeed would learn anything about anyone else's religion, leading to even more ignorance and bigotry than we have now.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2005, 00:26:31 »
I too think RE should be taught in school. I have turned my back on  religion. I have not had my children christened because I don't want to be a hypocrite and I hope they will get a decent and broad RE education to enable them to make up their own minds in the future.

So to keep in mind the object of this exercise I dont see why any religion needs to do cold calling. I know it is part JW but I find it hard to respect that aspect. I don't want to be approached, I want to find my own way there. Wherever that may be.

What I really want for my children and for myself, is inner peace.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2005, 12:14:59 »
Well said Heldi, I was in the fortunate position of having had a broad curriculum of religious education at school, and now consider myself not pertaining to any defined beliefs. I uphold that belief is a totally private thing, and individual freedom of choice is to be respected.

Nowt more to say really ...

Derekthefox

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2005, 12:30:57 »
Religious cold calling began in a very different society where people didn't move around much, they knew each other, and a dog collar gave a person a lot of status. Now, 150 years or so further on, the culture's changed drastically, and churches are still using the same methods. The ones which do it are so blinded by their beliefs that they can't see that the resistance they meet is justified.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2005, 13:15:31 »
Thank you Robert, that does actually explain a lot, and I think will allow me to empathise with the motives of those who carry out this practice, although I have always been perfectly polite.

Shirley

• Half Acre
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2005, 15:28:00 »
Having caller ID displayed on your phone handset (providing you have the right phone) is now free from BT, once you have registered for the service.  Now when the phone rings if the number is withheld, I just don't answer it, and switch the answering machine on.

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2005, 17:52:33 »
Now my Governor has the answer and I don't really know how she gets away with it...I work for myself and she turns the tables on them by trying to sell my services to them.

I had a call the other evening from India trying to sell 'Toucan' the phone line service... I realised what was happening and kept repeating "Hello"....."Hello, I can't hear you"... and all I could hear was this frustrated caller trying to get through...after a few more "Hello's"  I put the phone down.

I do remember my Uncle many many years ago, one Saturday morning, was chopping sticks for lighting fires (these were the days before central heating) he was in the yard...two JW's came in and tried to sell him 'Watchtower' (their magazine)

"I can't read" he said.

They proceeded to read it to him from the front cover to the back whilst he continued chopping sticks.
When they had finished they asked him if he wanted it, to which he repiled...
"Why, you have just read it to me".

He came into the house to my Aunt and I in hysterics.

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal