Author Topic: Dobies  (Read 9790 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: Dobies
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2005, 17:50:23 »
Suzy, when mine arrived they were in little bags with very damp compost......hopefully they should be ok...fingers crossed for you!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005, 18:17:44 »
They should be OK over the weekend, I've left plants in my shed for a few days in far hotter weather than this and they've been OK. When they post plants, they must allow for the possibility of delay.

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2005, 19:14:53 »
Yep, the compost is really sodden and in their plastic bags there shouldn't be enough evaporation to dry them right out. Fingers crossed.

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2005, 19:19:27 »
Thanks :)  I am full of good intentions to be at the PO at 7am and plant them tomorrow before work, but I suspect I will lose the battle with my duvet  ;D

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2005, 10:16:30 »
Well, I spent most of last night digging and stomping and preparing, went to the PO this morning and....SEEDS!  Just seeds!

No sign of me brassicas...don't know if I should be pleased because I don't have time till monday, or disappointed! :P

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2005, 11:42:07 »
I managed to get the broccoli into the spare bed between showers last night (though at a bit more compact spacing than they advised!) then planted the rest close together in a spare bit of ground where onions had come out.  They should be fine there (fleeced) until the new beds are ready then I can plant properly.

I noticed a lot of the cauli stems are snapped, which is irritating. I think I've got half of them usable.

And I've no idea if it was me getting them out of the bags or their packing!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

timmyc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2005, 14:01:48 »
ours came yesterday - and we're putting them in this afternoon - though we're off to Sunny Spain early tomorrow morning so they're going to have to fight for themselves from the word go - not sure they'll survive but what can you do???
We'll make sure they're well fedand watered and hope they aren't dead when we get back -

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2005, 14:19:57 »
Mine have apparently arrived too, have agreed with hubby that we can stop off at the allotment to hastily install and net them before driving up to Manchester  ::)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2005, 18:06:25 »
 ;D So glad they are arriving with some folks, alas I am still waiting ... >:( but the bed is hoed so they will have plenty of mulch when they arrive ... 8)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2005, 10:45:07 »
Went over my empty brassica bed again with the hoe yesterday.  It's like waiting for flamin Christmas.  Knowing my luck it'll be snowing when they eventually turn up  ;D

Dashed off an email to Dobies yesterday to remind them I'm still waiting patiently  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2005, 23:35:15 »
A few of mine were snapped Moonbells.  I planted them deeper than the 'bend' and will see how they get on.  Wondering whether to contact Dobies about it.......might send them an email as I didn't really think they were packaged terribly well.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2005, 01:54:10 »
Mine arrived on 15th as well - agree with you EJ that packaging was a bit less than I'd expected, particularly for such delicately-stemmed babies, though the box was sturdy enough.

Spent all day today clearing a space for some of them, which meant sickling my 8ft mini-sweetcorn trees. I managed to get the cabbages planted but I've had to 'heel in' the broc & cauli in a couple of long planters till next weekend, as the light beat meĀ  - boy, the days are definitely getting shorter!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2005, 09:26:11 »
Are Dobies and Marshalls one of the same or is it Dobies Suttons.  Marshalls are right long winded anorl.  Ordered spud sacks yonks ago and still no sign.  If I'd ordered em from Fothergills they would have been here the following day.  Grrr
I wonder if my garlic from Marshalls will take forever too  :(

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2005, 10:45:10 »
A few of mine were also snapped, probably the packing I should think although it seems odd that only the caulis were affected?

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2005, 16:01:24 »
Only caulis snapped in mine, too. Got them in on Saturday, half devoured by Sunday. Gah! Only had about one bed prepared, so didn't have time to net them/build slug traps/whatever it was I should have done to head the slugs off (haven't a clue). D'oh.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2005, 16:12:10 »
I'm still waiting for my snappy headed brassicas and the garlic I ordered along with them.

Are the Dobies ones the ones they were doing in KG because I think thats where I oredered mine from.

Not knowing who I've ordered from can making complaining a bit embarrassing sometimes.....
Best laid plans and all that

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2005, 16:16:34 »
hehehe plotofweeds, I have done that with Thompson and Morgan...could have sworn I ordered something from them, then found the order form never sent!

I emailed Dobies (and yes Wardy, they are Suttons), but am yet to hear back.  As I explained, I am allotmenteering on a budget and plug plants were quite an extravigance.  It would be a shame if none survived due to the poor packaging.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2005, 16:47:45 »
Hee! The only reason I ordered the plug plants was guilt - I'd phoned Dobies to complain about non-arrival of Xmas spuds which I had in fact ordered from someone else. Oop.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2005, 17:23:04 »
hee hee  ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2005, 14:19:14 »
Well, I got a reply from Dobies today to say the nursery had run out so they are sending out refunds. :'( Went to Downham Market today and got white sprouting broccoli at 75p/10 from the plant stall, so will have something for the hungry gap after all ;D, but not from Dobies! >:(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal