Author Topic: Update on self-sown tomato's  (Read 1220 times)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Update on self-sown tomato's
« on: September 12, 2005, 12:45:59 »
You may remember a while back I queried whether it was worth allowing self-sown tomtoes to grow or just to throw them out and decided to let them grow on.

This is the promised update!

All the plants turned out to be of a tumbler type cherry variety more suitable for a pot than the ground really.   The crop was pretty good and tasted reasonable albeit nothing to shout home about..... but, the plant was quite weak and seemed to hate the hot, the cold, the shade etc  :-\

So not a complete disaster and waste of time but then again not really worth the effort of keeping the plants alive.  Quite exciting to watch the fruits develop and wait for that first tasting though so likely I would do the same again.  You never know - I might find the perfect plant one year..... ;D

Planned for next year are some of those continental mishapen tomatoes with great taste - wonder if they self seed........  ::)
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Update on self-sown tomato's
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 13:02:29 »
I was interested to see your post.  I had three self sown tumbler type plants which had the most delicious fruit on them but the plants had blight on them last week and I have had to remove them.  I kept the green tomatoes off them but had to throw them away today as they have got it too.  I will definitely sow some proper seeds next year!

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 18:03:45 »
its not a awaste of time as next time you may do somthing dufferent to suceed !!

i think youll find that gardening is tryll and error as what may work in some ones area may not in yours and vice versa

carl
another member of i forgot my password

Squashmad

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 18:11:53 »
Interested to see your post - this spring before I sowed tomato seeds in pots - I found self sown seedling of Gardeners Delight in the polytunnel. So I let them grow and then moved them to another bed - and they have produced a great crop - and are still producing like mad, and no sign of disease.  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal