Author Topic: well chuffed!  (Read 1341 times)

daveandtara

• Acre
well chuffed!
« on: September 11, 2005, 12:56:52 »
grew kohl rabis for the first time this year. had no idea what they were, just that they were quick and easy and could be planted quite late.
well, just ate my first one, grated in a potato rosti, and it was delicious! tasted just like bubble and squeak.
i'll be growing LOTS next year!
i can't remember which of you suggested them when i first joined A4A, but whoever it was, thank you! ;D
Tara xx

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Re: well chuffed!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 13:11:56 »
Not sure I've ever eaten one and  certainly never thought of growing them but after that recommendation may have to try and find space!

A very nice result for you and hopefully me too  ;D

Iain

Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 13:24:47 »
Biggest disappointment of the year is that they did not survive the drought.  We like them boiled and mashed, or grated raw in a Winter salad. It is said that any animal fed on roots over winter will seek out kohl rabi before anything else.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 16:48:50 »
Congrats Tara

I'm growing them for the same reason.  Never heard of them before.  Half of my seeds have sprouted next to all of the beetroot ones that have sprouted & my radish.  I never eat any of these veges but am looking forward to beetroot fruitcake and I love curcurbits (pumpkins & squash)

I've just started and if feels like it's going to be such a long wait till I can actually harvest something!!

Anna :)
Wish I had an allotment.  I love A4A.

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 13:12:50 »
Sounds good, We'll give them a go!  :)
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal