Author Topic: Which potato for tyres?  (Read 1340 times)

terrace max

• Hectare
Which potato for tyres?
« on: September 11, 2005, 21:22:27 »
I've just dismantled my stack of tyres and harvested some very nice spuds (despite not getting round to watering them much). I know I could have done much better yield wise.

Next year I want to do it properly. I remember hearing the Flowerdew say that the tyre method works best with 'old-fashioned' varieties which grow tubers from the side as well as from the bottom.

With this in mind, and the fact that it's seed potato ordering time, which variety should I buy?
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Which potato for tyres?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 09:47:11 »
Apparently Earlies don't work using this method so pick a maincrop and you have to water in summer

The varieties recommended are Navan or The Up to Date.  Apparently the modern short horn varieties are no good for this purpose

Wardy
I came, I saw, I composted

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 13:15:32 »
Wardy, you're a star.

Just out of interest - what's a short horn variety mean? Do you know where I can buy organic Navan/Up to Date?
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 14:33:13 »
I've found Charlottes to work well in containers. They've done the best out of the spuds I've grown anyway. (And they are probably the best tasting spuds I've ever eaten)
gone to pot :D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 14:54:17 »
The Organic Gardening Catalogue (and online) sells Navan.  Don't know about Up to Date though. 

Don't know what short horn means I recall just reading about heritage spuds - it could have been in Fothergill's catalogue or Bob Flowerdoo  :)

All part of the service

Wardy  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal