Author Topic: Sowing Pansies Now For next spring?  (Read 2743 times)

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
Sowing Pansies Now For next spring?
« on: October 06, 2005, 15:01:43 »
Ok folks this may be the wrong section  ::) sorry if it is. I have a question I would like to grow some pansies on my allotment next year. Have I still got time to sow some in the greenhouse to get better plants next year?

Any advice from anyone who has had better luck than me at growing pansies would be very much appriciated as my pansies turn out to be leggy things.

The_Snail
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 15:03:31 by the_sexy_snail »
Be kind to slugs and snails!

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Sowing Pansies Now For next spring?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 15:15:09 »
I love growing them and have just planted out some more for tubs outside.  I potted some up into a big tub by my kitchen door about two weeks ago and they're looking great.  They had mildew though.  First time that's happened!
I find them easy but I always start them off indoors.  If yours are leggy then they are lacking light.  Follow the packet instructions carefully and you should be fine.  The winter flowering ones should be sown outdoors June-July, summer flowering ones sown  indoors Feb-March or outdoors in May - July.

I don't sow direct into the lotty soil as they are a bit pricey to risk it so I do them indoors and then prick them out in modules for planting out when they're a bit bigger.  I'd not sow them now personally as I'd prefer to wait til Feb, or later as I have no where to put them.  Good luck
I came, I saw, I composted

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 17:39:04 »
Thanks for the reply wardy. I also like pansies as they do brighten up a dull corner on a dull day with there bright happy faces  (:o Get a grip Snail  :o)

I will try them again Eraly next Febuary. I will proberbly start them off on my bedroom window sill then transfure them to the greenhouse after germanation.

Thanks
The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 18:11:47 »
 Hi Snail
try this page for your seeds, he charges 50p a packet and free postage if your order is over a fiver!!!

http://www.alanromans.com

well worth a peep

Cheers KevB
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 20:08:05 »
Oh Snail, forgot to say that if you DON'T get F1 seed then you'll be able to save the seeds from your pansies and grow new plants from them.
I came, I saw, I composted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal