Author Topic: Storing Squash and Pumpkins  (Read 3336 times)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Storing Squash and Pumpkins
« on: September 08, 2005, 14:48:06 »
Thought this interesting from Vida Verde seeds

http://www.vidaverde.co.uk/index.html#cattable
A note on . . . . the Harvest and Storage of Winter Squash
If handled correctly, they will keep for a long time. For biggest and densest fruit, leave the squash as long as possible on the vine,
even after the leaves start to die down, unless there is danger of frost.

Harvest by cutting the vine either side of the stem, not cutting the stem itself. Bring inside and store in the warm for 10 days for them to cure. Ideally this is 80°F / 25°C, but we just keep ours in the kitchen where is is reasonably warm.

Curing like this makes lets the skin dry out and lets minor damage heal. It makes them much longer-keeping and they can then be stored at a cool temperature (optimum 55°F / 12°C) ­ we use a spare (unheated) bedroom but a frost-free garage will do at a pinch.

We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
Re: Storing Squash and Pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 15:12:40 »
Brought a pumpkin into the kitchen for curing a couple of days ago and no 2 son decided to stick a knife in it and a couple of patty pans I had nearby. >:( :'( ???  Now hoping that the curing will heal the gash or it will be yet more squash soup for the freezer (15 pints and counting)...

Good info there DP, thanks.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 15:55:45 »
Thanks Doris for that info.  I've been cutting them as they are large enough so I shall stop doing that for now and leave them til frost.  I keep checking they're not going mouldy on the undersides though and pop a paper plate or plastic lid underneath etc  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 15:56:19 »
Thanks DorisP, that is really useful. I have about 12 pumpkins now in various stages of develpment.  I have got one huge one which will be very difficult to lift, I think.   :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 18:12:01 »
Tis the time of the year I get itchy to harvest my squash!! I have to really restrain myself ;D  Luckily we still have enough "other" veg that I am not too desperate at the mo!! But in 2 weeks time I shall be eyeing them all up and watching the weather forecasts then wondering where I am going to keep them all  ;D
I also read on a site today that you wait until the stalk looks papery/cardboardey  before harvesting butternuts.
BL I have a big un too  :o  Will have to enlist OH to get that baby in the car well before Halloween!!
Squashes are sooooooo  exciting! ;D  ;D  ;D

Nathan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 21:54:32 »
Thanks for helpful advice re butternuts.

But what happens if they do get a frost?  Are they ruined?  How careful do I have to be about listening to weather forecasts?
Nathan

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 08:25:39 »
Nathan all the book etc say they will take a light frost, but I have to say I have never been brave enough to try that out!
So I listen to the weather forecasts and hightail it up to the plot if a frost is threatening! ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 14:06:54 »
I got mine in as some leaves blackened by frost.  The big ones are hung up in bags in my pantry on stout hooks.  Got some little uns in kitchen, eg a Jumbo Pink Banana (which is not jumbo, nor is it pink.)  The other is Harlequin I think

Hang on will go and take a pic  :) ................. 

I'll leave em to ripen a bit and then I'm going to stuff some of the smaller ones and soup the rest I think  :)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 19:55:07 »
... and those are the little ones wardy? I fear for your rafters! ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 09:18:14 »
So do I SS, so do I  :)

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 14:23:20 »
I grew those two types too.  What is the harlequin best for - roasting or curry ?  (I think I asked this before but forgot the reply ... doh !)
Get with the beat Baggy

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal