Author Topic: williams pears  (Read 2591 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
williams pears
« on: September 08, 2005, 10:20:15 »
ok - not really a cooking question, but more about eating than growing...

When are Williams pears ready to eat? I've got some and they are as hard as apples right now. Do they need to be softer like conference pears to eat?
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: williams pears
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 11:40:11 »
I like my pears hard, like apples, sugary sweet and liquidy is not for me!  See, no help at all!  :P

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 11:57:18 »
I have found with most pears, they change very suddenly. Like EJ, I like pears with a bit of bite, but enough juice to be luscious as well ! ! !

Freshly peeled pears is one of my favourite puddings, with just a dab of icecream, or preferably clotted cream . . .  :o

Sorry if I have got you drooling ! he he he

Derekthefox  :D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 12:41:29 »
Thanks both.

I definitely like mine just slightly this side of turned to mush! I do not feel like I have eaten fruit unless I have juice on my fingers and down my chin afterwards!

No Derek - no drooling - don't eat sugar and I hate cream. (strange girl!)

I reckon two of them will be ready to eat tonight, as well as two peaches. Fruity desert I feel!
gone to pot :D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 13:00:33 »
I detest added sugar, which is not a problem, as my daughter is diabetic, so we tend to have lots of stuff around which is low in sugar content.

Pears and peaches, pure bliss . ..

Derekthefox  :D

Beryl

• Not So New ...
    • The Saunders Allotment
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 19:02:29 »
A Williams pear will be a pale yellow when ripe. They will not keep and are best eaten as soon as possible.
Preferabley on a warm day straight from the tree - delicious. Cup in your hand like an apple and if it will come away easily - it is ripe.
Remember all pears ripen from the centre out and the only sure way to find out if it is ripe is to cut it.

Beryl.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal