Author Topic: To lottie or not?  (Read 13064 times)

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
To lottie or not?
« on: September 08, 2005, 09:35:23 »
Hi everyone,

As a newbie gardener of about 1 year (and a newbie to this site!) I really want to grow lots of veggies. My local council has allotment plots available, but I'm a bit concerned about biting off more than I can chew. What would your advice be to anyone thinking of starting out as an allotment holder?

Cheers,
Rob.

"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: To lottie or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 09:42:02 »
Just Do it!  ;D  ;D   
You can always cover areas that you cannot get to, and you will have lots of fun and fresh veg.
 Also look back on some of the posts here, they give invaluable advise on starting up etc.
Good luck
DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 09:48:34 »
Welcome.

Do it! If you like gardening at all then you'll love having an allotment!

How much 'free' time have you got to spend on a plot? Assuming it's the odd evening and weekend (i.e. you aren't retired) then if the plots on offer are all overgrown (and they usually are) see if you can get a half-plot. Failing that you might be able to cover half a full plot with something (weed suppressing fabric etc) and concentrate on clearing/planting the other half for the first year. I produce plenty of veggies from my half plot to feed me and the missus - and still have plenty to give away.

Start gently, don't go at it all at once, or you'll injure yourself. Little and often is best. Clear a bit, then plant something. Having something (anything) growing will help encourage you to keep going! Remember, all those immaculate plots probably belong to people who have been allotmenteering for years.

There are plenty of nice people here who will give you lots of advice and encouragement, should you need it.

Good luck!!

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 10:01:29 »
Definitely do it!

After a long day at the infernal computer, or on the road, what better way is there to unwind?

My green grocery bill must have dropped a tenner a week?
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 10:02:32 »
Wow! 10 minutes and two very encouraging answers! Thanks for that, much appreciated.  :D

Sadly I'm not retired (the lottery win hasn't happened yet!), so yes, it would mainly be evenings and weekends. I'd also like to get my kids involved, as they're interested in growing veggies but we don't really have the space at home (although I have got a small container veggie garden). So now I need to get myself in gear and get my patch!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 10:18:03 »
Thanks Wardy, I'm trying to help my kids understand that the food they eat doesn't just appear on supermarket shelves and also is good fun to grow. Luckily they seem up for it, and like most kids they both love being outdoors, so I think I'll have at least two willing helpers.

Cheers,
Rob ;)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 10:25:11 »
I'm still working too,  only get to go there in the evenings, on average spend an hour a day.  

Only started in July, had to 'find' the plot first, then played catch-up with everybody else, and now have a very respectable looking plot but still waiting for many things to develop.  

Eating salads, spinach, beans, peas, courgettes, marrows, toms.  Chard, carrots, parsnips, fennel, spuds, cabbage, headback, beans,  to come.  

Sweet corn 3'6" loaded with possible cobs :o

Marvelous fun, is this enough encouragement? ;D!
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 10:42:14 »
Only started in July, had to 'find' the plot first, then played catch-up with everybody else, and now have a very respectable looking plot but still waiting for many things to develop.  

Eating salads, spinach, beans, peas, courgettes, marrows, toms.  Chard, carrots, parsnips, fennel, spuds, cabbage, headback, beans,  to come.  

Sweet corn 3'6" loaded with possible cobs :o

Marvelous fun, is this enough encouragement? ;D!

I'm not sure if that's encouraging or intimidating! You've done all that since July? Blimey :o :o

Actually your lottie sounds brilliant, as do loads of others here, and reading back through the posts it seems like there's a very helpful and supportive community both here and it most people's allotment sites. I'm getting quite entusiastic now...

Cheers,
Rob ;)

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 11:18:17 »
Hi Wardy, and thanks again for the advice. I like the idea of chilling out with a beer and certainly don't plan to knacker myself too much (although working an allotment seems much more appealing than going to the gym - which I never do anyway!).

Anyway, am now about to phone the council and sort out a visit to the site, so will let you know what happens.

Cheers,
Rob ;)

madmum

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 13:35:12 »
Wardy what a fab lottie
Thats what I want mine to be like, a nice place to go and if there's a few veg about then thats an added bonus.

Robkb - Go for it, the kids will love it and so will your OH I expect when you toddle off with the 2 kids in tow

Good luck

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 20:12:31 »
Hi Rob. Definitely go for it. Your kids will absolutely love it. My son (19 months) would happily move out of the house and into the shed at the allotment!

Wardy, your plot is brill, just what we had in mind for ours too!  :)
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 22:17:47 »
Oh yes. Do it. Kept me sane. Lost three stone too.
If its weedy, do a little area at a time though, mark a small area out with string and do that bit properly, then move on gradually. I've seen newcomers on our site go potty at it for a couple of weeks, trying to get it all done at once, and then we never see them again.
Allotments are great for de-stressing, daydreaming, sitting quietly in the dusk and watching the foxes, eating raspberries on the hoof, poking about in bonfires...

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 08:49:08 »
I've dropped a dress size since starting the lottie.
May and June are tough times keeping up with the weeds - but I haven't had to buy ANY green veg, onions or potatoes since the start of June.

giantseye

• Half Acre
  • I love my lottie
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 10:09:05 »
Hi Rob

Just go for it.

Yes it's hard work, and there will be alot of times where you'll be wondering why your doing it, but I can assure you 100% that it is worth it :D :D :D

I work full time and have 2 young kids.  I try and go 2-3 times a week, and find it really relaxing.  Plus at the end of the day you get the veggies you've been waiting for.

I can honestly say it's been the best decision I've made for a long while ;D ;D ;D

Enjoy

Ruth

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 10:11:25 »
Mornin' all,

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and advice - it's very helpful and makes me realise you don't have to try to build Rome in a day. My back garden just isn't big enough for veggies and flowers, and an allotment seems the best solution (short of selling up and buying a smallholding somewhere - no chance of that!). Both the kids seem quite enthusiastic. And I could definitely do with the exercise!!  :o Now all I need to do is convince my other half, who suddenly seems very negative about it  :( - she's worried about the time commitment, and reckons I'll spend all my time at the allotment to the detriment of our garden, and also thinks it will make it difficult for us to have holidays or days out... any one else had this problem? Oh well, will have to weigh up the pros and cons and convince her that the pros list is bigger!

Cheers,
Rob.  ;)

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2005, 10:55:30 »
Hi Wardy,

Yep, we share the gardening and I do try to help out around the house, especially as my wife often has to work one day of the weekend. We both work, so believe it or not (I'm a bloke so I know it's probably quite hard to believe) I'm actually quite aware of the amount I need to do to keep the work/life balance resonably fair.

She enjoys gardening as much as me and I reckon once the allotment was up and running she'd secretly be as enthusiastic as me, she's just worried about us biting off more than we can chew. I can see her point, but I'm trying to convince her that having an allotment doesn't mean we can't do other things as well!

Cheers,
Rob ;)

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2005, 12:12:57 »
Plus do you have the stamina never mind your OH  ;D

I've had no complaints!!!!  ;D :o ;D Oh sorry, you're still talking about the allotment aren't you...  :-[

With replies like that you can see why perhaps my charm hasn't completely won OH over yet!

Cheers,
Rob :)

lancelotment

• Half Acre
  • Great North Swim, 1 mile open water, Windermere'08
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2005, 13:36:59 »
Rob, why keep flowers and veg apart?  I grow lilies and dahlias at the lottie as well just to use as cut flowers.  My OH is quite happy for me to spend time down there when I get home with a bunch of fresh cut flowers and dinner as well.  It means all those flowers that you have growing in the garden at home can stay there looking great but you still have a house full of beautiful fresh flowers as well. 
  I'm an early riser (6AM) so spend my time at the lottie early Saturday and Sunday mornings. With the taxi service for 3 teenage kids I don't have many nights that I can call my own any more so just grab what I can.  With a bit of planning ahead you would be surprised how much you can get done in a short time.  Go for it!!  Cheers.  Lance

Getting there - just rather slowly!!

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2005, 14:08:33 »
Hi Lance,

I'm not deliberately keeping the flowers and veg apart, but except for a small container veg garden a la Gardener's World, I don't have room for both at home! I do quite like the idea of a small cutting garden though, and I love dahlias... more food for thought!

And I'm an early riser too, can't be doing with laying in bed for hours, so early mornings wouldn't be a problem. Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers,
Rob ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2005, 22:34:54 »
I have far more space on the allotment than I need for veg, so I'm planting more and more flowers. It's currently awash with Cyclamen hederifolium.

PS. I took this with a fairly new camera, and got the exposure wrong. I think I've now worked out how to do it!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 11:10:18 by Robert_Brenchley »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal