Author Topic: Asparagus ....again..!  (Read 2110 times)

undercarriage plan

Asparagus ....again..!
« on: September 06, 2005, 15:03:07 »
Is it too early to be cutting back the fern growth on my asparagus? It's beginning to turn brown, and one or two flopping? Just seems really early. Thanks Lottie  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Asparagus ....again..!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 16:06:58 »
A bit early. But if it's looking tired, not much harm will come. It may be very dry?

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 18:03:15 »
Good point Tim, thanks! Will soak it tonight and see how it's fairing tomorrow. Lottie  ;D

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 18:56:34 »
I have to say mine looks yours Tim with just a very few outer stems showing signs of yellowing so would have to agree.
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 19:05:59 »
Yes, but mine is bigger and taller......even if it is yellowing and flopping.....lol even spied a lonley spear, but resisted.. ;) ;D Lottie

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 19:27:24 »
Bigger?  How big....mines 6 to 7' and thought that was tall hence the earlier question about shading!
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 20:07:41 »
Oooo at least 10ft if not more..... causes so much shade will need to cut it back.... ;) Actually, it's about 5ft... :-\ Lottie

cyrilsquirrel

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 18:09:13 »
Blimey....I didn't know they grew that big! :o

I have got some coming up that I started from seed 2 or 3 weeks ago , how do they grow? I assumed it was like rhubarb in a crown and only took up a small area. Will I have to give a bed over to them? ???

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 18:23:15 »
I have got some coming up that I started from seed 2 or 3 weeks ago , how do they grow? I assumed it was like rhubarb in a crown and only took up a small area. Will I have to give a bed over to them? ???

They have quite an extensive root which is why it takes a couple of years to establish before you fully crop it.   Even if buying a crown (one year on from seed) you do not harvest the first year,  only harvest briefly the next and not until the third year do you get to harvest until the end of June. 

With regards a separate bed - that is basically what you need to do.   The basic method can be found at the link below....

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/gardening/growing-asparagus.html

Hope that helps, Iain

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 07:58:50 »
up - soaking it? Tried to come back on that but I've been off-line for 2 days.

Wanted to remind you that the roots are 5" deep & it takes a lot of water to get that deep.

cyrilsquirrel

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 11:43:18 »
Thanks Tim.....thats a useful site! :)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 14:42:12 »
Thanks Tim, will return and flood it!! Hoping for rain today, it's been so dry here. Lottie   :-*

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal