Author Topic: preparing the greenhouse for winter  (Read 2129 times)

Viks

• Quarter Acre
preparing the greenhouse for winter
« on: September 05, 2005, 11:53:44 »
I would like to try to over wnter some stuff in the greenhouse and also get a good start of stuff in the spring. But what do I need and what can i do?
I am guessing I need to insulate the greenhouse. Is bubble wrap the recomended choice? Where do I get it from? Is there anything else?
I was thinking of running electricity into the greenhouse and then putting a normal cheap household fan set on freeze setting to keep the temperature above freezing. Is this OK?
Lastly once I have all all this sorted what delights can I get upto in my greenhouse over winter?

Thanks

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: preparing the greenhouse for winter
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 14:00:22 »
Hi Viks, I clean all mine with Jeyes when it is empty and wrap with bubblewrap, I see this lot have it on sale at the mo, bought some netting off them earlier in the year and they were very efficient!
http://www.lbsgardendirect.co.uk/default.asp
Don't know how cheap it is compared to other places though cos I haven't bought any in years!
Over winter I grow mainly lettuces and salad greens, Mizuna, pak choi that sort of thing. Mine is so small that apart from one bed the rest is taken up with overwintering me tenders!
I have found that here in Sussex, I haven't had to have a heater, but would love to get leccie to my greenhouse, that would be a real treat! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 14:09:33 »
Hi Viks. Like DP I use Jeyes fluid, I use a small spray that helps to get in all the nooks and crannies.. I also use bubble wrap. I have an electric heater which has been marvelous and not expensive. Very accurate, I set it at 40f and it never deviates.. Up until this year I have used the GH to overwinter my fui*hsias and geraniums. From now on I am going to grow more in the veg/salad lines. Good luck Lorna.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 16:46:51 »
Looks like we all do more or less the same thing Viks.  I too clean with Jeyes and soak all my bamboo canes in it too.  Then I insulate with bubble wrap.  Wish I had more space in it to grow overwintering salad stuff though.  All my space is taken with saving my tender cuttings for next years tubs and baskets etc.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal