Author Topic: Lovely day on the allotment  (Read 3814 times)

wardy

• Hectare
Lovely day on the allotment
« on: September 05, 2005, 09:19:12 »
I hope everyone enjoyed time on their lotty yesterday.  The weather here was fantastic - a bit too hot for anything energetic - so I pottered  :)  We took the dog with us, who for once seemed quite content to snooze, and we had lunch there.  Not a soul about except us.  It was perfect and we were there til six when we'd had enough and wandered home.  We thought we'd go back later, when it was cooler, to pick some veg for supper.    I was ever so proud of what I'd managed to grow in such a relatively short space of time.  I just love it and have my King's order ready for next year's crop  :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 11:05:21 by wardy »
I came, I saw, I composted

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: Lovely day on the allotment
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 09:45:07 »
I spent a couple of hours up there yesterday and boy was it hot :o 8) I gave everything a good watering followed by hoeing then put my new toy to the test my genny attached to a strimmer and gave those weeds a hammering around the boarders, great tool pity it's so heavy. ;D
Then guess what? Snap! More marrows and courgettes. ;D

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 10:08:35 »
Another perfect morning for me yesterday. I'm trying to re-design the layout of my beds at the moment which is great because I love digging!

Now and again I'd look up at the road across the valley and see streams of cars going who-knows-where. I felt sorry for their occupants - they don't know what they're missing on their local plots!
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 14:27:16 »
Wardy. So you should feel proud!!!! Fabulous results from all your hard work. Glad the dog was on his best behaviour ;D Best wishes Lorna.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 16:32:44 »
Yes congratulations Wardy, you have definitely earned it. Although a bit too hot for me yesterday, I think we all love our lotties, mine is my own bit of private space, where I can feel at peace. Added to which of course, there are lots of lovely healthy fresh veg to boot !

Derekthefox  :D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 17:47:04 »
Well...I have to confess...I bunked off and took kids to the beach for the last day of hols!! Had a wonderful time, sand everywhere now  ::)! Given myself day off tomorrow to tend lottie....Deeply ashamed, I apologise.... ;) Lovely marrows Roy, mine are useless this season, no idea why. Lottie  ;D

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 09:02:28 »
We had a fab day on sunday at the lottie. We spent most of the time helping our friends with their new plot. Picked quite a few brambles too.  :)
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 16:03:22 »
Came to this thread a bit late......Wardy, if you want slabs I have millions.....well loads!! Cant move for the b***dy things!!
You are welcome to drive up north to Oldham if you want some!!! ;D

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 08:47:08 »
Wardy, you'll think I'm bonkers but actually I am trying to get a load of runners for more bramle plants! The reason is that they will be great along the fences to act as a natural barbed wire. Also, we all really like the fruit, especially the little un.  :D
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 09:04:57 »
Ha ha, you just beat my post Wardy !

I want to get some brambles in my hedge of hawthorn if I can, purely for the free fruit. My neighbours have hedges like this and have masses of blackberries.

Derekthefox  :D

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 12:26:04 »
Best  thing about my second plot is a hedge of established blackberries.

Worst thing about my second plot is a hedge of established blackberries!!

Guess you just can't please everyone.........   ;D
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 12:47:23 »
One man's meat is another mans poison springs to mind Icy!

Just keep smiling ha ha  ;D

Derekthefox :D

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 07:47:57 »
My Governor asked me to grow some wallflowers and sweet williams for the home garden...HER garden.

I haven't told her yet but I am wondering what the heck she is going to do with six hundred wallflower plants and two hundred sweet william plants.

She always reckons I go too far  :o ....in the nicest possible way of course  ;D

Still the youngest daughter will no doubt want some too... I hope.

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 19:24:52 »
Wardy....I may be an old softie and it may get me chucked off this site BUT I find that I am growing more and more flowers on the lottie these days.

This year...Sunflowers of course, Dahlias, Chrissies, Marigolds all over the place, Golden Rod plus a load of other plants that the Governor was splitting up at home.

I am told that Asda are selling off sun umbrellas for a quid so I am getting one for the lottie hoping that there is a long hot summer next year

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 19:52:52 »
Aha!! Wardy just the person.... I bought some sweet william plug plants which I potted on about 10 days ago (thought they would be nice cut flowers for the grave) I do like them BUT when do I put them out in the garden please.  Best wishes Lorna.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 22:03:19 »
Thanks Wardy. I will probably put them out next week before I go to Brussels. I thought of leaving them until I come back  but they are in greenhouse at moment. I haven't got shelving back up yet (toms & cues still there) so no capillary matting yet. I will ask daughter-in-law if she can manage to come and give a little water to them. Cheers Lorna.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 23:53:10 »
Wardy It's  the  birthday present from Lorna jnr. On top of that she bought me two pairs of trousers (I always wear trousers) son & daughter-in-law also bought me two pair plus a lovely blouse. Perhaps they thought my wardrobe would not be posh enough for  our first class journey on Eurostar ;D ;D Bless them they do spoil me!!  Only  nine days to go Yipee :) Lorna.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 15:45:11 »
ahhhh...you got a mothers day present......... :(

i remember the year i got 5 daffodils....

i seem to remember the roundabout near our house looked quite bereft...... ::)

he rings or drops in most days tho....and not always to borrow money.......so i cant complain ;)
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 19:04:33 »
Kitty. When I read that I laughed out loud!!   Lorna.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 20:36:21 »
mmmmmm.it makes me laugh too.....sort off...... :'(

actually hes a good lad-never given us a minutes trouble....but in the age-old male traditionanyone comes a poor second to his first love-himself!
*sigh*
probably why his missus ran off with her gym instructor-silly moo!-shes gonna get a shock when she realises they're all the same! ;D
i dunno-men!cant live with 'em....can't live with'em!!!! ;D ;D ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal