Author Topic: Orientation of beds  (Read 2312 times)

terrace max

• Hectare
Orientation of beds
« on: September 04, 2005, 19:58:05 »
Ideally, which direction should vegetable beds be orientated? Why?

Should beds for winter crops be different? Do certain crops like to be organised differently?
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

amphibian

Re: Orientation of beds
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 21:48:02 »
Ideally, which direction should vegetable beds be orientated? Why?

Should beds for winter crops be different? Do certain crops like to be organised differently?

I orientate my beds east-to-west, and my rows north-south, I have heard that this reduces the degree to which plants overshadow one another.

As for winter, yes I would say layout might change, depending on what casts shadows across your garden, whole areas may fall into shade for larger periods of the day, especially if the shadow casting object is tall enough that the low winter sun, never comes above it. Equally you may find that an area overshadowd in summer is not so in winter, for exxample my plot has two huge okas at its southern boundary, which cast shadow across the bed in summer from about 2-5pm, but in winter, without their huge canopies of leaves, more sun may get through at those times, though obviously teh shorter days will mean less light anayway.

Actually, to be honest, I havent got a clue. ;)

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 07:36:12 »
Thanks for that, Amphibian - much to consider. I'd  just followed the same pattern as my neighbours but recently found my self asking why?

but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

gayle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 08:38:59 »
I dont think it really matters as long as you rotate you crops every season. :)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 21:16:49 »
I started most things east to west but knew I would need to position my bean canes north to south.  After I did that an old timer neighbour told mne all beds should be north to south so I am now doing it this way - despite it resulting in very long rows.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

amphibian

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 15:27:25 »
I started most things east to west but knew I would need to position my bean canes north to south.  After I did that an old timer neighbour told mne all beds should be north to south so I am now doing it this way - despite it resulting in very long rows.

Why not just put your beds east-west, with nice short rows running across north-south.

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 15:57:14 »
I suppose it also depends on the terrain.  I'm on a hill which slopes downwards to the east so my beds run across the slope  north/south I avoided the monster rows thing by planting in blocks, except for beans and potatoes.

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 19:20:34 »
Aargh! For some reason I find this really hard to fathom...
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 23:58:56 »
Aargh! For some reason I find this really hard to fathom...
Yes, I have problems with this too. I don't think it makes a lot of difference as long as you don't put tall plants to the south of shorter ones.

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 09:57:59 »
Most of my beds are square, so orientation isn't an issue!

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that growing stuff in 'long' rows is peculiar to the UK - on the continent a lot of gardeners sow seeds broadcast in "clumps" or squares rather than sown in long rows. Maybe some of our continental members can confirm/dispute?

Possibly a remnant of our strip-farming methods back in medieval times?

Anyway, if you are planting in rows on level land (in the northern hemisphere) it makes sense to have the rows racing sideways on to the sun - i.e. aligned East-West so the sun shines on the whole row (from the south) for as long as possible during the day. On sloping land I'd plant across the slope to avoid water running downhill along the rows (or build up 'terraces' then plant east/west?).

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 23:05:21 »
Planting in long rows was brought in after the invention of the horse hoe; it was so you could get the thing between rows, and thus manage a larger area. Since I've never heard of anyone using a horse hoe on an allotment, I don't use rows much either!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal