Poll

is looting ok?

Yes
No

Author Topic: is looting ok?  (Read 7590 times)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
is looting ok?
« on: September 03, 2005, 20:32:10 »
just thought i would use the poll that was on sky news through the week?  think they might of been getting desperate???

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: is looting ok?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 20:45:08 »
 >:(

You cannot be serious!!!!

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 20:53:59 »
Is watching Sky News ok??
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 21:12:22 »
desperate situations call for desperate measures.
we dont know what we would do given the circumstance.

throwing the first stone, and all that.
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 21:27:16 »
am serious was a poll on sky news in the week, think it was bank holiday monday actually!

amphibian

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 22:06:49 »
If my child had gone without water for days, and no help had arrived or seemed on its way, then I wouldn't hesitate to break into a hop to get her some water, hell the stock will all be claimed on insurance as damaged anyway.

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 22:08:01 »
Its not okay, but bush ignoring them is even worse. They are the poorest, blackest citizens and bush would love to lose a few, as theyre not stupid enough to vote for him, so he has been as slow as possible in assistance  >:( . If it was NY or Washighton evacuation would have happened days earlier and theyd already be making repairs.
I LOVE OP AMPS!

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 06:27:29 »
Either looting was hampering relief efforts, or lack of relief efforts was causing looting.

I suspect Bush and co. went for the 'blame the victim' option while they decided how little help they could get away with giving...

I think the whole Katrina fiasco just goes to show there is only one super-power: nature.
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005, 18:20:16 »
Bush - nuff said

It is absolutely disgusting for the authorities to operate a shoot to kill policy on looters when it is those self same authorities that are denying aid for as long as they can possibly get away with it because their natural voters all managed to get out on time - they only lost their yahts which I see CNN was very concerned about in the early days before the New York Times spoke out - by the way that was the 'can't get away with this anymore catalyst.  And yes I do think it was wilful on the Bush regime's part.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2005, 20:10:37 »
I think the whole Katrina fiasco just goes to show there is only one super-power: nature.

Sure has put them America their place hasn't it! if Bush hadn't spent so much money on the Iraq war then maybe the vital work on the flood defences may have been done.

I know it is an absolute tradgedy and I do not mean to be cold by saying this..... but if the hurricane had hit the coast of Africa or India (i.e. 3rd world) would it be getting as much media coverage?? Natural disasters on this scale happen every year and they are minor news items.

To have a poll on sky news about whether looting is bad I find quite sad, I assume you maybe rang in the show to vote etc... I hope the proceeds went to the Red Cross. (I don't mean on here though as Adam will not be profiting from our answers!)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 00:41:32 »
I think looting depends on the circumstances. If you're starving and steal food, say, that's OK in my book, and many people must have been reduced to that sort of situation. What I don't find any excuse for is the situation we had in Handsworth some years ago; I think it was 1993. There was an arson attack on a factory, and power to a substation next to it had to be cut off temporarily. A section of Birmingham was plunged into darkness, and people from all over the West Midlands descended in cars and vans and systematically looted every single shop, even the butcher and the shoe shop. I was in the middle of it and saw everything; the police just watched. Nobody hungry there, but NO is a different matter. Not that I find much excuse for the people who took TV's and the like.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 10:27:41 »
quite - you will not find much sustinence in a TV.
i certainly agree with the food and water bit, if push comes to shove, most would do the same
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 22:36:09 »
No, looting for profit, no way!

Looting to save your childs life, yes.

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 09:08:42 »
No, looting for profit, no way!

Looting to save your childs life, yes.

Agree wholeheartedly.

And the biggest looting, smash and grab for profit in history? Bush & Blair in Iraq...bang 'em up!
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 10:49:06 »
Dunno, even that pales into insignificance beside some of the Roman efforts; Crassus took about 62 tons of gold from the Jerusalem Temple on his way to disaster in Persia, and Caesar looted so much wealth from Gaul that the only way to stop him afterwards was to kill him. I don't know what the European powers took from their empires, but it must be astronomical. If you look at post-colonial history though, I agree you won't find a parallel.

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 13:37:47 »
You're right RB.

But I think in the post-colonial period there is a framework of international law which was absent in the examples you cite. The Iraq war broke this law and was, therefore, an illegal grabbing of another's property. Hence the parallel with looting...
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2005, 15:49:16 »
That's true; while international law certainly existed by Napoleonic times, it only applied to 'civilised' nations, and to restricted areas like the treatment of prisoners. By Victorian times, atrocities like the regular massacres of wounded during the Zulu war of 1879 horrified many people in England, but the military could afford to ignore this. To this day, international law still doesn't protect weak nations against exploitative trade barriers and the like.

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2005, 16:04:31 »
Anyone heard Barbara Bush's comments?  "So many of the people here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them." What an insensitive cow. I cannot beleive that any members of this awful family have been given so much power. It makes you think- Bush's grandad was chummy with the nazis, his mother making these comments and his inactivity- they are clearly racist snobs. Bush deserves a murder charge- he has treated innocent human beings like low value property.
I LOVE OP AMPS!

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2005, 18:54:58 »
he has treated innocent human beings like low value property.

Outrageous suggestion ROTM - I'm sure he treats his low value property with much more respect...
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Pegmumm

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2005, 23:46:07 »
Hi all,
I am one of the lurkers that live in another part of the world very similar in weather to yours, in Northwest Washington State in the USA. I have learned so much from you and your site, its amazing. I just had a 10 kilo harvest from my White Lady runner beans, just four poles. And I have you all to thank.
My rant:
-----------------------------------

One thing about this whole New Orleans/Hurricane Katrina thing.
I am one of a growing number of Americans that believe that the lack of response by federal authorities to the flooding victims was deliberate. You see, the feds cut state and local communication lines, barred anyone from entering or leaving New Orleans and turned away any and all aid coming to the city. I think it was meant to kill. Why is the question.

Those who looted had little choice but to take what they could to feed themselves and their families. Those who took tvs, etc. had nowhere to sell them. It was an irrational act in a time of stress. Most were frightened that if they had been allowed to leave, they would never have been allowed back into their homes or to the property they owned ever again. And they were right. Watch what you see and hear with a jaundiced eye, please.

We, in the US, are at the mercy of a ruthless group of men bent on gaining power in any way they can. Even if it means killing innocent people.

---------------------
Rant over...
I don't know what the death of a city means to us or to the world.
I only know my garden is a lush, quiet, abundant paradise into which I can immerse myself and forget the starvation, death and disease that plagues other parts of my country at the moment.
Peace to everyone,
peg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal