Author Topic: fruit bushes?  (Read 2325 times)

chuff

• Half Acre
fruit bushes?
« on: November 14, 2005, 21:25:05 »
I took over my plot in september and I am planning to plant everything in raised beds. I am making up a list of fruits that I want to plant but there are so many varieties ??? Which should I go for? I want a sweet fruit that freezes well, pest and disease tolerant and self fertile. I live in the south west which is partial to a bit of rain. So far on my list:
Blackberry-Waldo
Gooseberry-Whinhams
Raspberry- Cant make me mind up to many to choose from
Blackcurrant-Wellington XXX
Rhubarb- Only found 2 to choose from so I'm going to try both of these
any advice would be greatly appreciated ;D

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: fruit bushes?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 01:09:04 »
In my experience the following freeze well.
Blackberry - Oregon (autumn fruiting)
Raspberry - Joan J (autumn fruiting)
Blackcurrant - Johannisbeere (summer fruiting)
Gooseberry - Invicta (summer fruiting)
Rhubarb- Timperley early (spring)
Whitecurrant - Blanka (summer fruiting
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 21:45:13 by jennym »

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 08:38:36 »
Blackberry-Waldo
Gooseberry-Whinhams
Raspberry- Cant make me mind up to many to choose from
Blackcurrant-Wellington XXX
Rhubarb- Only found 2 to choose from so I'm going to try both of these
any advice would be greatly appreciated ;D

Wellington XXX is not the most disease-resistant variety, being an older one, but after having patiently waited a couple of seasons for mine to reach flowering age, I was astounded by the sheer size of the fruit. Marbles!

Raspberry I grow Glen Ample and Joan J. Can't grumble at either! Whatever cane you go for, make sure it's got decent drainage if you get that much rain.

Can't help on the rubbub :)  as mine came with the plot, ditto goosegogs so have no clue what they are.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 12:49:13 »
<snip>
Rasp  Glen Ample but I couldn't get one so got Glen Moy which has been superseded by the Malling Strain which are supposed to be better.  I know peeps on here love their Amples  :)

It's good that there are two main UK breeding programmes: the Mallings in, well, East Malling :) and the Scottish Glen series.  I guess they leapfrog over each other with good strains. I like my Ample simply 'cos it's not prickly and despite being stuffed under an apple tree in very poor alkaline soil (which they don't really like), still produces oodles.

Am currently looking to replace a particularly annoying loganberry and wish I could put rasp canes in, but I suspect they're too closely related and wouldn't thrive.

Hey ho!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

chuff

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 19:01:58 »
thanks for the info ;D where do you all buy your bushes from? I find the garden centres seem to be quite pricey, internet seems to be cheaper but I like to see something before I buy.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 13:20:24 »
thanks for the info ;D where do you all buy your bushes from? I find the garden centres seem to be quite pricey, internet seems to be cheaper but I like to see something before I buy.
Try Buckingham Nurseries, they are very good indeed. I have just received some blueberry bushes.

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 10:26:01 »
I have a blackberry waldo (or vv) and can recommend it.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 22:07:18 »
This months Gardening Which has loads of recommendations for fruit bushes and trees. From my own experience, I do not agree with their recommendation of Blackcurrent Ben Lomond, as I have found it prone to disease in the West of Scotland, and taste not as good as the others. In fact, I have grubbed up my Ben Lomond bushes.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

chuff

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 20:08:01 »
Hi everyone, thanks for the help :) in the end I went for :

blackcurrant- Ben sarek
gooseberries- Invicta
raspberries- Autumn Bliss

there wasn't lots to choose from so armed with the fruit expert book I think I managed to pick the best of what was there ;D

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 16:21:23 »
Chuff, I don't know if it's too late, but if you are anywhere near Trago, they had a good variety of different raspberry canes a few weeks back. I bought 10 canes of Autumn Bliss for £5.75. They are now in the ground and most of them have healthy green on them. Last Spring I also bought 10 canes of Malling Jewel from Trago for the same price and they grew extremely well so I'm looking forward to my first harvest next year.

Tricia

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal