Author Topic: maize is finally full height  (Read 3914 times)

sunflower_info

• Not So New ...
    • Giant Sunflowers
maize is finally full height
« on: September 02, 2005, 22:04:45 »
Here is a picture taken yesterday of my corn with tassels & ears.  The person who gave me the seeds said it shouldn't form silk on the ears, but I have some that does.  The tallest is around 17 feet tall.  If you look above the plume of the tallest red amaranth you can see a large ear.  Some of the ears look nearly 2 feet long, but I haven't measured them yet. 

My marrows ended up being terrible this year.  The heat wave did them in.  However, my neighbor up in New York, Jonny 5, tried gardening for his first time this year and he had a 15 pound marrow from seed I gave him.  He also had a Bott's Strain sunflower that grew close to 12 feet tall.  Not bad for his first try at gardening.

madmum

• Half Acre
Re: maize is finally full height
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 11:05:20 »
WOW!
They look amazing, did you use any special type of feed?
Well done, and your friends sunflowers and marrow look good too. Good results for his first year.
The red amaranth looks good too.

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 13:30:07 »
wow stunning what a wonderful  plant to grow i love big plants but is ok if you have the room weldone :) :) :)

sunflower_info

• Not So New ...
    • Giant Sunflowers
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 22:44:56 »
 I just took this picture the other day of one of the large ears of corn on my giant corn plants.  Most of the ears are about the same length of this one.  It's approximately 2 feet long.   Longest ear of corn I've ever seen in my life. 

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 09:16:37 »
Good grief! We could have one per household per night! ;D  Are they human fodder or animal fodder?  And if human, what do they taste like??? :)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

sunflower_info

• Not So New ...
    • Giant Sunflowers
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 17:56:49 »
I'm not sure, but I would guess they aren't for human consumption.  This is the first year that I grew this variety of maize.  I would try one, but I've been told it can be difficult to obtain seed from this variety; so I'm saving every ear for future plantings

sunflower_info

• Not So New ...
    • Giant Sunflowers
18+ ft. tall maize
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 04:02:47 »
I chopped down most of my corn today.  Most were about 17-17 1/2 ft. tall.  This was the tallest at over 18 ft. tall.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal