Author Topic: Favourite Films  (Read 11725 times)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Favourite Films
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2005, 22:30:08 »
They were a new sewer system being installed right across Coventry, about 14 foot diameter, enormous excavation project. The system is still operational yes. Clever filming of course.

Derekthefox :D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2005, 10:42:21 »
I agree with you EJ - Yellow Rolls Royce is a fantastic film  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

madmum

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2005, 10:48:03 »
Undercarraigeplan
My 4 year old's fave film is Calamity Jane, so she'd agree with you on the Doris Day bit!
I love a real oldie with Doris Day and Frank Sinatra where he plays someone called Barney and there's a whole family thing going on, he tries to crash the car in the snow - anyone know what it's called?
would love to search it out on DVD.

markyb23

• Half Acre
  • Bloke from Stoke
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2005, 12:58:53 »
Hi all,
        my favourites at the moment are:- Kingpin,Captain Corelli's Mandolin and,my all time favourite, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.
               Cheers-Marky

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2005, 13:15:41 »
I love Doris Day films (I know  :-[), and my favourite is Calamity Jane.  All of her films are great to watch on a cold rainy Sunday afternoon, with some goodies to eat and drink and a blanket on the sofa.  I also like all the other big musical movies, South Pacific, West Side Story, Sound of Music -  Christmas holidays  wouldn't be the same without them. I thought Saturday Night Fever was great and I can watch The Abyss over and over.   I also liked Master and Commander with Russel Crowe, as well as Gladiator. My most favourite film of all time though, (shows what a big softie I am) is It's a Wonderful Life.   :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

madmum

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2005, 13:38:13 »
absolutely right buzzie lizzie - have to rely on dvd's these days as they don't put the good old films on anymore.
what about the king and I? Also Larry Parks in the Jolson Story.
Must also confess to a weakness in the shape of Keanu in that long leather coat in The Matrix!

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2005, 14:37:57 »
Wot no samurai movies??

'Zatoichi' is my desert island dvd.
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2005, 16:14:59 »
Madmum you daughter has good taste love calamity Jane is a great film , what a charlie and the chocolate factory the origanal is brilliant , the new one out is a load of crap not even worth watching

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2005, 16:36:00 »
  THE KING AND I, LOVELY LOVELY FILM.  ALSO "THE BRIDGE OVER THE RIVER KWAI.  THE KILLING FIELDS :'( :'(. (THE CHAMP ) IF YOU NEED TO HAVE A GOOD CRY :'( :'( :'( :'(.,

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2005, 16:39:02 »
TM   I like that old Samurai film that Clint's spagetti western character is based on - can't remember what it was called  - Seven Samurai I think  :)    I really liked the Water Margin on TV - not in the same class as the former - but it did liven up Saturday teatimes in our house  ;D  My son buys me an episode or two when he finds them  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Juliet

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2005, 18:07:11 »
Hi Derek, I like escapist adventure stories (Star Wars:  A New Hope, The Lord of The Rings), especially if they also have jokes (Raiders of the Lost Ark, La Fille de D'Artagnon, Charade).  I also like funny films with good stories (The Ladykillers, Kind Hearts And Coronets, Clueless), and sometimes funny films without much of a story (The Blues Brothers, Harvey, Les Vacances de M. Hulot).  Sometimes I like arty films (32 Short Films About Glen Gould) but usually only if they are funny (Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, Women On the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown).  I don't much go for sad or serious films, but occasionally I'll like one if it's about a subject I care about (Dead Poets Society - Robin Williams at his most restrained, EJ).  My favourite film is In The Bleak Midwinter - it's ... er ... escapist, funny, arty, & about a subject close to my heart, so it covers all bases.

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2005, 18:07:23 »
Wardy - you have impeccable taste: allotmenting, martial arts movies and reggae music...!

If you liked the Water Margins give 'Zatoichi' a go, I'm sure you'll love it...

( I think the Seventh Samurai was inspiration for the Magnificent Seven)
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

undercarriage plan

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2005, 18:24:22 »
Couldn't agree more, Dibs, Calamity Jayne brilliant! What's that one with Deborah Kerr and top of Empire State Building? Love her too! Also on Charlie Choc front! Have first one, new one  :P! Lottie  ;D

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2005, 19:15:58 »
Glad I am not the only one who didn't like the second Charlie film. What was so wrong with the 1st one it needed remaking anyway  ??? It had none of the magic, the umpalumpas ?? were awful and Johnnie Depp was sinister. I was SOOOOOOO disappointed. All of the films currently at the cinema are remakes: Herbie, Dukes of Hazard, Bewitched, Charlie, Fantastic 4 !! is their no one out there with an original idea.

My favourite film is Breakfast at Tiffanys, simply because I only watch it when I am too ill to do anything else and it never fails to make me feel loads better. I am still not convinced I have seen it all the way from start to finish in one sitting as it is so relaxing to watch I normally nod off! But love it anyway.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2005, 00:17:19 »
Yes daisymay, "Breakfast at Tiffany's" was a fabulous film.  When it first came out I was working in a cinema, so I saw it about 40 times.  At one time I could say the dialogue along with the actors word perfect.  I never got sick of it.   :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

madmum

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2005, 10:29:48 »
Undercarraige Plan,
Think the Deborah Kerr film with the empire state building film you mean is An affair to remember. It also starred Cary Grant, and was the one that they watched in sleepless in seattle.

Sorry, got to stick up for Johnny Depp - I loved the new Charlie and the Choc Factory. My kids loved it, I adore the first one but this is so different. Depp was great, and really spooky.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2005, 16:20:04 »
The Green Mile has to be my top fave film, oh and Moulin Rouge, and Meet Joe Black, and most of the pixar movies because they make me laugh, and some like it hot, has to be one of the funniest films going!
Not a great film lover though, hate most of hubbies shoot em up, lets kill people type films, but I do enjoy a good film in the depths of winter!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Hex

• Half Acre
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2005, 19:17:57 »
Despite having been brought up watching cling film (see palustris) my votes are for bugsy malone and rita, sue and bob too.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2005, 19:23:12 »
Thanks Madmum! That's the one. Love Jonny Depp too, but not in Charlie, he can whisk me off in a pirate ship anythime...... ;) Lottie

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2005, 13:44:07 »
Hurrah, we're talking about one of my favourite things to do when I'm not gardening!

I will try to restrict myself to 10 favourite films or less:

- Pulp Fiction - So cool and such snappy dialogue and black sense of humour!
- Gladiator - great historical epic
- The Matrix - Love the whole look of the film, and how on first watching you spend the first half of the film dying to know what is going on.
- Legally Blonde - I like how she is ditzy but not dumb, and achieves her goals by being nice to everyone.
- Moulin Rouge - Love the singing and the costumes, and laughed my head off the first time I saw it, over all the well known song lyrics done so differently.
- Lord of the Rings - all of them - just epic!
- Bridget Jones' Diary - for a soppy rom-com
- Pirates of the Carribbean - for Mr Depp and Mr Bloom, and just a fun film that doesn't take itself too seriously
-Finding Nemo/Toy Story 2 - can't decide between them
-Pride and Prejudice - the bbc mini-series with Colin Firth - does this count?

Got to agree with Madmum about the new Charlie and the chocolate factory - thought it was much closer to the original book, which I absolutely loved as a child. And the director Tim Burton made everything look so colourful and amazing!

« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 13:47:13 by Moggle »
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal