Author Topic: Have to fill in pond :o(  (Read 4437 times)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Have to fill in pond :o(
« on: April 15, 2005, 18:52:48 »
As people on this board will be aware, I have built a tiny pond on my lottie (a closed site with high security fence and barbed wired locked gates)  It was built for the benefit of British wildlife - I help them, they help me.  The council have asked me to fill it in in case a trespasser falls in and sues them.  I do intend to fence it off and cover it to prevent this happening.

Should I stand firm even though I am in breach of my tenancy agreement (I hadn't got a copy when I sunk it - I had sent it back to the council)

Does anybody know how I can get my tenancy agreement changed? (It seems bonkers in today's day and age that a wildlife pond is unwanted)

Should I start a campaign.

PS I know it is not relevant but I wish all the workers at MG-R the best of luck and I hope it is not too late to stop the names of Rover and MG dying. 

Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re: Have to fill in pond :o(
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 20:45:08 »
Hi Redclanger.That is just ridiculous.Pandering to the criminal yet again.As if he 's going to drown!! Does that mean you can't use any sprays on your fruit and veg(if you were going to) just in case he fancied a nibble and got tummy ache??

The world has gone mad.I would get all the allotment holders together if you can and see if there is any way you can protest.If your pond is fenced off and covered i just cannot see what the problem is.
Margaret

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 21:22:11 »
Thanks for your support - thinking of contacting councillors and local MP as well.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 08:05:26 »
fer goodness sake! ::)
do remember to remove your canes at night wont you?
wouldn't want the burglars poking their eyes out......

it has indeed gone bonkers...... >:(
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

quinny

• Quarter Acre
    • http://sitebuilder.wanadoo.co.uk/servlets/creat_frame?mode=modifsite&site=allaboutquinn
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 09:19:35 »
Hi Redclanger,

This has got my blood boiling.  I would definitely suggest you contact your local MP.  I used to work for the Civil Service and the thing that got us jumping the highest was MP complaints.  You get yourself a meeting with your MP at his local surgery and tell him how unhappy you will be, get names of anyone who supports your views.  I'll give you my name and address for sure for any petition (hopefully other A4A people would do the same).  Why should the actions of a few ruin it for the many?  What about comparisons with other allotments, why is your local authority so out of touch?

The problem with government bodies is that they are so arrogant, they cannot apply, or do not understand how to, or are afraid to think how to apply, COMMON SENSE.  They cannot and will not consider that their actions are ludicrous unless you get your MP to write to them.  If you don't you will be fobbed off.

Write to Monty Don and Bill Oddie, get David Bellamy out of retirement.  This nonsense has to stop now for the protection of our nartural flora and fauna. 
Write to your local press.  Bring shame upon these idiots!!  If you are taking the necessary precautions they should let you go ahead, tell them to deal with people who don't approach it sensibly.

If anything you'll make them work for their money and force them to use a bit of the grey matter!! 

You do understand that they will say "blah, blah,blah... tenency agreement subsection 2.2 cleary states... blah, blah, and this stipulation was part of the contract and agreement...blaaaahhh".  And god knows the response will be patronising....

I shall now step off my soap box.

All the best.

p.s. I don't have an allotment, but it still infuriates me.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 18:10:55 »
I have put a TINy pond on my plot, but asked before I did it, they asked, how deep, how big etc etc. Just incase some poor child wandered through my plot and drowned. Now I am sorry, but if a parent cannot keep an eye on their kids whilst on the site, then the children shouldn't be there!
All this pampering to people makes me mad! Have had ponds all through my children growing up, and I kept and eye on them so they did'nt fall in. It makes my blood boil too!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 18:45:44 »
You know what it is. 

Those in charge are afraid of the compensation "thingy" and only want to cover their own backs.  >:(

i.e. "I was walking on the allotment and suddenly, fell in this pond!" -
"Why was it there and did it have the right to be there"! -
"I want compensation for this or for that" .....
You see this all the time now - On the telly and off. 

Hope you win ! Good luck !  :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 19:32:24 »
sadly-these days there are no accident-only people to blame and claim from...
i wish when all thes people bang on about their rights they'd remember they have responsililities too-the worlsds gorn maaaaaaaad!
kitty ::)
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 20:18:59 »
How come these people can sue or councils and schools etc are SO scared?
School camp trips stopped for fear of sueing :-X
I learnt so much at camp,canoeing! done it recently because I remembered how much fun it was. Been out geocaching lately and remembered how to read co-ords on map because of school trips.

GO FOR IT.It is for the environment and the planet.
Get all on here to voice their views and email you,print them out and add to support of other plot holders.

Visit MP,they can be quite nice people too :D some on the plot near us :o

You probably have all our support on here.

What a fuss to go through just to dig a hole and put weeds and water in it on an "allotment"

Pathetic! These things happen naturally antway don`t they!

Things may not be so grim as you think because of all the sueing and stuff, along side that are the Human Rights crap!

these are contradicting each other a bit now, especially since Tony Martin & school trip cancellations!

Complaining does a lot more these days ;D

Just do it, you want a natural wee pond for toads etc and you shall have it ;)

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 20:22:18 »
PS:The only complaining that doesn`t work is if it is against house building on flood plain in Horley OR more runways :-X

the wizards sleeve

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 10:08:29 »
i will be putting a pond on my plot and if a burglar falls in its his fault not mine ::) :D

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 19:13:36 »
good on yer............

put a weeny sign next to it saying

Warning
Shallow water
Idiots and thieves beware!

:-X :-X :-X

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005, 08:21:05 »
i will be putting a pond on my plot and if a burglar falls in its his fault not mine ::) :D

his or "hers"

:)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal