Author Topic: evergreen/ winter interest  (Read 2052 times)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
evergreen/ winter interest
« on: August 30, 2005, 14:58:15 »
and I do not mean leylandli!!!  ;D

Need to increase our winter interest in the garden, so looking for some fast growing evergreen/ winter flowering plants. Some shrubs/ bulbs etc...

In particular want to plug a gap at the back of the garden so we can block out the kids over the back on their trampoline (don't get me started, delibrately not ranting about it on here!) so some tree suggestions would also be good too.

thanks guys  ;D

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
Re: evergreen/ winter interest
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 20:40:26 »
Hi daisymay,
Pyracantha springs to mind, its evergreen. with berries for the birds! thorny so the police recommend it for back fences etc. fairly fast growing but easily kept in check with pruning! VERY easy plant to grow and contain/maintain!
take a look
cheers Kev
http://www.angliangardener.co.uk/Plants%20pop%20ups/pyracantha.html
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 23:14:08 »
Holly?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 01:10:28 »
Here are some shrubs that I have experience of in similar situations:
Prunus lusitanica - dark green laurel like leaf, white plumes of flowers (in May) grows quickly and makes good background. Can prune hard to required height.
Mahonia japonica - holly like leaf, scented yellow flowers winter, followed by matt purple berries. Good in shade. Or Mahonia x media 'Charity'. can't really prune but doesn't need it much.
Aucuba japonica 'Crotonifolia' - spotted laurel, get male and female plants for large red berries from Feb onwards. Good in shade. Can prune hard to required height.
Cornus alba 'Sibirica' - red stemmed dogwood, and/or Cornus sanguinea 'Winter Beauty' orange/yellow stemmed dogwood.
Osmanthus x burkwoodii - Oval green leaf, small flower heavily scented.
Lonicera fragrantissima - needs full sun, evergreen in the south, fragrant white flowers Jan/Feb
X Fatshedera lizei - wall shrub (need support) good in shade.
Eucalyptus gunnii - grey/blue leaf, can pollard regularly to maintain desired height.
Remember, you can grow different ivy and clematis up trellis or plainer shrubs.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 01:12:18 by jennym »

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 09:08:33 »
thanks for the ideas, that is great. I get so overwhelmed try to search through my books etc... when I am looking for something to do a particular job!  :)

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 13:28:37 »
Viburnum bodnantanse 'Dawn' - a fabulous shrub, mine starts to flower in about October/November and goes through until March, lovely scent too.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 15:03:07 »

Rhamnus: Argenteovariegata
One of the most beautiful of all Silver variegated evergreens.Needs some protection in very cold areas . Best in full sun but toterates shade. (ht. to 4m)

I had to look this up to find the description.  I planted one about two foot high in June 2002 and it is now at least 8 feet and looks lovely. I can well recommend it.  Ours is next to next door's trampoline and screens about half of it so I need something else equally rapid growing to cover the other half, probably a viburnum.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 15:23:10 »
Just a word of caution about the last plant mentioned. Parts of it are poisonous. :o

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 15:34:58 »
Thanks, I have googled and it is the berries that are poisonous, as it is a type of buckthorn.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 15:47:49 »
I feel a touch of HRT coming on... thanks every one  ;D

(horticultural retail therapy - for those who do not read the BBC site)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 16:45:10 »
Witch hazel - Hamamelis mollis

Corkscrew Hazel - Corylus avellanc 'Contorta'

;D ;D ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal