Author Topic: Help, Please!!!  (Read 3716 times)

undercarriage plan

Help, Please!!!
« on: August 30, 2005, 18:01:52 »
I'm hoping someone amongst you will be able to tell me what's wrong with my favouritest tree in my garden.  It's a twisted willow, and almost over night, it looks like it's dying :'(. I grew it from a cutting and it's the focal point of my tiny garden. Most of the growth seems to be dying, but some shoots look OK. Any ideas, please!! Lottie  :'( :'( :'(

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Help, Please!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 18:17:37 »
So sad - love them.

You've obviously ruled out aphids? They can destroy trees very quickly. But it looks more physiological than that?

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 18:19:25 »
There is nothing on the leaves, Tim. They're losing thier greeness if that makes sense. The branches look OK, but this has happened really quick. Lottie

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 19:29:18 »
Lack of water? Or too much?

(I know, bit obvious but it's the only thing I know that makes a tree go limp that fast)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 20:09:27 »
BLess you, moonbells, but don't think so. It's my baby, water when dry, not when not needed, but thanks. Just had a closer look, and the dying leaves are an insipid green and quite brittle, no sign of any pests on the leaves, and the lower leaves are still healthy.  Almost looks like it's started at the top and worked its way down, which is strange ???, thought it'd start from bottom. Thanks so far! Lottie

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 20:14:01 »
I hate to say this lottie but its not something in the soil is it?   I have lost a Laurel and my neighbour a flowering cherry and apple tree while shrubs around have been untouched.   Very similar locations and exactly the same symptoms as you are seeing.

I cut my Laurel down at the weekend and it was dead through and through.  The only thing I can think of is something deep enough that only the tree roots hit it.

Like yours there was no sign of pest or disease - just leaves drying and falling off.   :'(

Iain

Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 20:43:53 »
Awww I hope not, Icy. It's taken years to get to this size. I've managed to train it and prune it so there's an arch you walk through to get to steps to pond. If it dies will be awful. But though I hate to say it, few doors up found honey fungus.  :'(
Will try pruning out dying wood in Spring. Thanks though Lottie  :-\

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 23:21:54 »
Every year maple trees over here tend to turn an unattractive shade of brown following fungal infection during the heat and  humidity of summer. This year, with the incredible summer we have had (I would detail it but it would sound like bragging), oaks and horse chesnuts are also stricken with fungal infections that are turning the leaves at least 50% dead. Given the summer I understand you have had your tree could be suffering something similar. Any chance of a close-up? 

undercarriage plan

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 23:43:42 »
I'd love to John, but not very good camera, any closer and becomes out of focus.  Leaves look same shape, but just lost their "joie de vivre", lank and weak. But bells ringing here! Maple also lost some leaves but only on one branch, thought due to wind burn. Any solution in mind? Happy to post leaf! But think it'd look dry after post!! Thanks Lottie :-\
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 23:45:23 by undercarriage plan »

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 01:22:01 »
This might help:
hort.ifas.ufl.edu/trees/SALMATA.pdf

Belladonna

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 01:33:38 »
I only mention this as a possibility because it happened to me. My other half was stripping varnish off a wooden chair, took it outside so the fumes didn't bother me (bless him), but right next to 2 acers I had. They looked like your willow within an hour or so. the fumes. They recovered fine the next year, when they were all covered in leaves and he did it again. Well it was a different chemical but the effect was the same.
not sure if this helps but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Bella

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 08:24:50 »
Didn't think an experienced gardener would fall prey to irregular watering (though I forgot to water a bonsai for _2 days_ and it was too long and it collapsed - luckily it's regrown a lot of leaves, phew!)

I'd be tempted to take a pair of secateurs to it, and prune out a branch which you'd have pruned anyway or a bit which is not obtrusive, and have a look at the inside of the wood. (Disinfecting the secateurs afterwards). If it's discoloured you'll know something has got at it from the inside.

Or dig out a bit of the surrounding soil and see if you can find bootlaces.  If you do, then you won't *need* to prune.

Or send it to Gardener's Question Time for the next time they're in the Potting Shed!

I would however definitely take some cuttings ASAP from the bits that are still OK!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

undercarriage plan

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 09:35:29 »
Thanks all, so much.  Going to take cuttings, but hope I won't need them! So if anyone wants one, just shout! Think I'll wait and see what happens in spring. I've had a look at inner wood, seems fine. Think it's probably fungal by the look of it, which according to that site and John is common in willows but hopefully not fatal! Will wait, give it a cuddle, and let you know. Thanks again Lottie

undercarriage plan

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 18:15:36 »
Snipped a piece off and took it to Notcutts and showed my little friend down there. He thinks it could be cos of the huge differences in temperature over the last couple of weeks. Showed me some of their plants that were doing the same thing. So fingers crossed, and toes and ears and.....Thanks once again for all help. Lottie  ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 18:00:54 »
Update. Notcutts wrong! Just realized that the clematis growing through it is dead as a doornail  :'(, fine last week.  But the Jasmine hasn't looked healthier, does this ring any bells with anyone? Thanks Lottie

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2005, 19:30:08 »
Don't be in too much of a hurry to write off the clematis. Many of ours are dying back, drought in our case. At least one has gone back to nothing and re-grown from the base. If your cuttings do not take then you will have to visit and take some off our trees!
Gardening is the great leveller.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2005, 19:58:17 »
Sure it's dead Eric. Very brown and cripsy! No buds anywhere.  What cuttings? LOL! Love clematis, but they not fond of me! Just wondering if same disease got the two of them. If I'm in your neck of the woods......Yes please! Lottie ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal