Author Topic: Christmas potatoes???  (Read 2090 times)

tamsin

• Not So New ...
Christmas potatoes???
« on: August 26, 2005, 21:21:44 »
Hi there!

Anyone know of anywhere selling potatoes that can be planted now ready for Christmas? I've read about them, but the only ones I can find are in a now closed offer from Thompson and Morgan. Help!
 ???

amphibian

Re: Christmas potatoes???
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 22:05:10 »
Hi there!

Anyone know of anywhere selling potatoes that can be planted now ready for Christmas? I've read about them, but the only ones I can find are in a now closed offer from Thompson and Morgan. Help!
 ???

I would also be interested in this.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 01:32:28 »
Mr  Fothergills were mine, but it might be too late - perhaps you could try supermarket spuds?  ???
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 09:49:18 »
  Hi,     You can try "The Fruit & Vegetable Company"
 on Tele 0870 950 5911.   They have four types of potatoe for Christmas cropping.  LesH

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 10:07:39 »
I'm saving one or two of my early spuds (Arran Pilot) for my Christmas spuds.  I didn't order the ones from Fothergills as they were too dear and I don't want many

I came, I saw, I composted

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 10:11:52 »
Use a dark coloured bin - the galvanised ones don't work so well.  ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 10:13:16 »
Hi Wardy, I've saved some Arran's for Crimble, when are you planning to plant them out and will we have to cover them? ???

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 10:18:46 »
Aren't they delish spuds Roy?    I thought I'd plant them up in a big container (if I have one) when I get back from my mini holiday next week.  I think we might have to fleece them if we get severe frost, or if you have a greenhouse you could drag the pot in there.  I haven't so I won't.  You can plant them direct into the plot so I might do both just for insurance purposes  ;D  I think the gardening magazine I read recently suggested September was the time to be planting them but I think some peeps have theirs in already.
I came, I saw, I composted

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 13:51:01 »
I am interested in Christmas potatoes too, I have some international kidney (jersey royals) that I have from my early crop, but I was worried in case I have left it too late . . .

Derekthefox  :D

hemajo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2005, 09:43:05 »
Use a dark coloured bin - the galvanised ones don't work so well.  ;D
RedClanger, can you tell me how you grow potatoes in a bin?  My four little veggie beds are not enough (already)!!  I can't convince the hubby to let me use the play area in the garden (which is fair enough really!), so am interested in alternative ideas.
Helen

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2005, 18:58:34 »
Put a bit of compost in the bottom of the bin and place up to four seed potatoes on the compost.  Cover with more compost and water.  As the plants grow earth up until the bin is full.  Keep the compost damp.  This is the first time I have tried it.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

hemajo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 20:51:20 »
Put a bit of compost in the bottom of the bin and place up to four seed potatoes on the compost.  Cover with more compost and water.  As the plants grow earth up until the bin is full.  Keep the compost damp.  This is the first time I have tried it.
Do you put drainage holes in the bottom of the bin?  I have got some spare bins by the side of the shed, so might give it a go too.
Helen

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal