Author Topic: Dobies brassicas  (Read 7559 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Dobies brassicas
« on: August 25, 2005, 11:53:26 »
Eeeeeeeek!!
The Collection has arrived and I am off to pick up friend from the station who is staying for the weekend and there is no time to put them in til (hopefully) Saturday!!

Will they be ok if I just keep them nice and damp??

Help

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Dobies brassicas
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 12:07:30 »
Yes - but don't let them get bent!!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 12:47:36 »
Phew..thanks very much!!

Tim, they are sat up as straight as guardsmen!!

:)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 12:54:10 »
Good stuff! Hope mine arrive before Saturday as I have a day pass from my darling so will be on the plot first thing!

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 13:35:50 »
My Orientals arrived today, but not the brassicas.  I have nowhere to put them.  Lots of digging in my future I think!

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 15:34:00 »
Wardy, I keep reading that brassicas need firm soil. I haven't actually got any firm soil, apart from the mudslides I like to call paths, because the plot was rotavated so recently. Do I have to jump up and down on my beds?
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 16:37:50 »
I think the saying is "plant with a 10lb hammer"

Being of wide girth I just shuffle a couple of times, if you are of smaller frame then perhaps a few jumps.

Adrian
Best laid plans and all that

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 18:14:37 »
Wardy, I keep reading that brassicas need firm soil. I haven't actually got any firm soil, apart from the mudslides I like to call paths, because the plot was rotavated so recently. Do I have to jump up and down on my beds?

I jumped, stamped danced etc on my beds - I also did it just after it had rained.  Lovely firm headed cabbages.

However, unfortunately, my first sowing for spring in an outdoor seedbed seems to have completely failed to germinate and I cannot afford Dobies - looks like beg borrow and steal.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 00:22:05 »
This may be the only time I'm glad nobody's on the plots either side of me - I'm going to look a right twerp war-dancing over my beds. Is yodelling necessary?
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 09:18:45 »
Gulp, I've just realised that must be what the card was through my door yesterday.  Now, as I don't have the car today I was going to mosey on down to the PO on my bike and collect but now there's no way they'll fit in my basket is there???  >:(

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 10:25:15 »
Hey, I've seen stranger things hanging out of baskets on bikes in Cambridge Wardy.  I once saw a man who was obviously doing some DIY at home and had 2 massive scaffolding size planks over his shoulder.  Actually, considering the size and weight of them I now feel maybe I should find him to transport my delivery.  After all it's really easy to find 1 specific cyclist out of thousands!!! ;D

dirtyfingernails

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 11:02:02 »
Gulp, I've just realised that must be what the card was through my door yesterday.  Now, as I don't have the car today I was going to mosey on down to the PO on my bike and collect but now there's no way they'll fit in my basket is there???  >:(

should be fine in your bike basket - the oriental ones just arrived and they're only in a little box - but haven't received the brassicas yet so not sure about how big that box is. Am getting mine in tomorrow - hope the slugs don't get em (like they did my carrots - I didn't know slugs like carrots!)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 11:06:28 »
Slugs like everything....except weeds!

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 11:25:35 »
Oh fantastic dirtyfingernails - thanks for that.  OH was complaining as I was going to send him down there to pick them up in the car.  I can always do 2 trips.  Yay, now I will have to lift the potatoes and plant them there.  Excellent, filled the weekend already  ;D

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 12:50:16 »
Lazybones, I once saw a man cycling past me with a full-sized bird table. That's my personal favourite. I'm a bit of an amateur myself - the most I've ever managed is a rucksack and a double duvet.  :D

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2005, 14:32:24 »
Blimey Bupster - I think even that's good going.  The best I can manage is a child on the back - normally kicking me and telling me to sit down.  ::)

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2005, 14:37:59 »
It's amazing what you can do when you don't have a car. Though the shed roof might be a bit of a squeeze.

Has anyone collected their brassicas? How big are they? Am I on a bicycle or in a taxi? (Well, actually praying that the bookies downstairs is open when the postie comes and he leaves it there, but don't always get lucky. Mind you would be the oddest parcel they've taken in for me :D)

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2005, 14:43:32 »
I'm going later this afternoon on my bike as per dirtyfingernails post.  Do you want me to let you know bupster?

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2005, 14:51:39 »
Yes, please; I'll lay money the post office card will be waiting for me when I get home from work!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2005, 16:45:37 »
The brassicas come in a box about one foot square...should fit in a big rucksack!!

They are in small plastic bags to contain the roots, so it doesnt weigh much.

Raining like billy-o here, no chance to get them in til tomorrow

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal