Author Topic: Where art thou?  (Read 10012 times)

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Where art thou?
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2005, 10:37:35 »
Yep  :)

I've noticed Phil is missing!  Hope it's only temporary  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2005, 10:43:56 »
Have to say thanks to all for this interesting discussion.  As a newbie I l felt the same as daisymay but then I realised that when I go down the lottie we don't all stick to talking about our plots but have very diverse conversations (both oldies and newies together).  Although I have to say even some of those are very bizarre.  :D

So let's hope we all live in harmony - oh and thanks to all for the fantastic advice  :D

And I promise to read old threads before asking the same questions  :-[

Yellow Petals

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2005, 12:37:12 »
I was a bit upset when I first read the start of this thread, felt a bit unwelcome as a relative newbie!

Hmmm.  I'm not really sure how anybody could come to that conclusion after reading my initial posting?  There is nothing unwelcoming nor intimidating about it, it was merely an observation on my part  :)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2005, 13:08:16 »
Oh dear it seems YP posting has been taken a little out of context, after reading it i agree we are missing some very familiar names on here over the last few months.  But YP is only making an observation not a complaint, maybe when some of our newbie friends have stayed with us a little longer they will understand we do say things and nobody need take it personal, we are a very friendly group of peeps, which is why we can write things we feel others may be interested in .  So please let us all enjoy and talk about anything and everything, and if somebody puts something in the wrong place so what ,it is not going to close the sight down now is it. ::) ::)

I hope ALL my friends on A4A have a lovely weekend and chat away to your hearts content, wherever it may be.   Cheers Rosebud. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2005, 13:43:47 »
I saw Phil mentioned in our local newspaper recently, I think he is busy organising a show, so he is still out there somewhere.

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2005, 20:07:32 »
this is our first and only experience of chat rooms etc.
we certainly didn't know what was expected or what was frowned upon!
thankfully, no-one was grumpy with us, if we ask something that had been asked before someone usually prompts us, kindly and politely, to do a search.
nowadays, i tend to search first.
surely this is all that's needed?
allotmenting is new to us but so are computers, and some gentle advice on both is what we enjoy on this site!
(along with the wonderful company of you lot of course!)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2005, 22:07:59 »
I can give you one reason why at least one long term poster on this site will never, ever offer advice, opinion or help again. Just look at the Triffid posting and the response of a certain frog person and you will understand why people no longer feel free to help when asked.
Gardening is the great leveller.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2005, 23:14:11 »
Have to agree, Eric. I'm no expert, but I know a bit here and there. Nothing worse than trying to give advice/help to someone  and the next post makes you feel 2" tall. Surely all answers are relevent. We all know things differ from garden to garden, county to county,camera to camera  :-\etc. Tolerance and manners should always be taken into account.  Lottie

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2005, 09:24:42 »
I look in on a couple of forums that are related to my Trade.

This gardening site is very well balanced in that if a section doesn't interest you then it can be skipped.

One of the sites I frequent has a 'start up' section so that all the helpful hints can be collated into one place for new folks to browse at will... maybe that's a way forward.

I find that my time is limited at the moment through pressure of work, family commitments etc. that I often come here just to browse

Things I like are the photographs of the participant that appear.... I feel that  I 'know' the person who is writing.

I love the humerous anecdotes which cheer me up after a hard day.

I like to read comments (in the appropriate section) on current affairs it makes me realise that I am not alone in my thoughts.

In other words...there's nothing wrong with A4A

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2005, 10:06:10 »
I think the same way as Derek.  When the day has been a difficult one coming on here is wonderful, it cheers me up no end to read the humerous postings and people's comments, there is so much fun and brilliant gardening tips, I am addicted to A4A I am sure!

I think it is important to keep it light hearted, there are serious forums elsewhere, but I don't want to see it reduced to the drivel that appears under the OTGF heading on the Beeb, we are better than that!

Eric, I love reading your posts and you have wonderful expertise on so many things, don't give up, please!!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 14:51:15 by tulippa »

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2005, 11:28:23 »
I can give you one reason why at least one long term poster on this site will never, ever offer advice, opinion or help again. Just look at the Triffid posting and the response of a certain frog person and you will understand why people no longer feel free to help when asked.

Hi Eric.

I've read the 'Triffid' post. Amphibian was a bit pedantic (but aren't we all sometimes?) and when this was pointed out he/she apologised...I really can't see a problem.

I find your contributions to this forum really interesting, please don't get hacked off over nothing.

Best wishes

Max
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Hex

• Half Acre
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2005, 21:08:44 »
No one should let the comments of a pedantic rana pipens insipidens stifle the quality and breadth of advice and personal experience offered on this web site.

Have to say as a newbie, postings like that put me off expressing my distinctly inexpert opinions or indeed asking for advice.  I shall stick to direct mail to someone I have every confidence in receiving a civil, correct, intelligent and helpful answer from........ooh that would be Paulstrus then.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2005, 21:54:02 »
:o Sorry Hex but I have read your post three times and it comes across to me that you are taking the Pee out of your own Father, can you post it again without the fancy words please? :o

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2005, 23:29:25 »
Gavin - last active July 08, 2005, 16:53:06

Now there is another guy that we need back - any news anyone?
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2005, 09:47:42 »
Roy, think Hex was relating to the name "Amphibian" as I think a rana pipens is some sort of frog (a Leopard Frog??) but as for insipidens I don't know - insipid would probably mean lacking in character or strength or body.  Hey, anyway, maybe the Frog Person meant well just tried to blind us with science - and succeeded!!  I'm sure Palustris can rise above it - not many could pull the wool over his eyes.

Clanger, Gavin has a site of his own I believe (on allotments) which is bound to take up his time but like you I really miss his contributions - still a Scot to the core tho long since transplanted in English soil! ;)
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Hex

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2005, 20:14:44 »
Roy, alongside many people I have been taking advice from my father for years on gardening.  Despite the fact that I kill his plants with tedious regularity he has never patronised me or monitored what he so kindly contributes.  It is a genuine compliment to say he has never offered unwanted advice on anything else either.....

Take the piss out of him?  Never! He might withdraw his assistance and our garden would never be the same again.   :)

My point was that there are so many kind, generous and knowledgeable people freely offering advice and information on here - yourself included.  It is a real shame when ill considered postings put people off.

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2005, 10:52:04 »

Well am sorry but laughter is the medicine of life and if you want it all serious
  and boring in here..............just drop me a PM and I will go down the garden
  and out the gate if I get anymore than 3. :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-\ :-\ :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Yellow Petals

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2005, 11:02:33 »

Well am sorry but laughter is the medicine of life and if you want it all serious
  and boring in here..............just drop me a PM and I will go down the garden
  and out the gate if I get anymore than 3. :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-\ :-\ :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

...and the Oscar for best Actor/Actress goes to............

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2005, 00:25:23 »
Wow, having put in the first reply, I am not sure I can even follow where the thread has led, so much has been said. However, it appears that upsets have occurred along the way, and the mature approach to that has already been stated, ie tolerance and manners. Also, this site exists primarily for enjoyment, not many of us are gardening at the professional level, so A4A is an area mainly for relaxation, and that includes the occasional joke etc in an otherwise serious post.

Therefore I stand by my original opinion, this site is a pure joy to visit, with a very diverse range of subject matter. There is also a distinct social feel, and I feel privileged that so many people consider me as a friend. A wonderful place to be!

Derekthefox  :D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 00:28:26 by Derekthefox »

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2005, 00:55:47 »

Give me 5 minutes petals..........then I will perform a humour transplant on you
  free of charge.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal