Author Topic: As basic as basic gets  (Read 3694 times)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
Re: As basic as basic gets
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2005, 17:42:40 »
two things geotropism and somethng else to do with light, geotropism is to do with gravity, therefore the roots are geotropic, ie they grow down towardsthe earths centre of gravity. the other things which i cant remeber the nameof, is the way the shoot grows, it grws towards the light.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2005, 17:47:28 »
Re sunflowers, my head has been known to do something similar towards a gin and tonic  ;).

So why do some plants (apparently) depend on the length of daily light? If light produces energy are shade-tolerant plants more efficient?

Realise this is no longer as basic as basic gets! Perhaps one of you very erudite posters could suggest a link that might help - gardeners' idiot's guide to the science of plants? Wikipedia can get a little science-heavy, and while I'm always ready to learn I need a leg-up sometimes  :D
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2005, 01:17:03 »

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2005, 01:34:44 »
Jenny, what do you do for a living? Are you a professional in plant growing? I wouldn't ask, but in the short time I've been on this board I can't help but notice the extent of your knowledge :)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

amphibian

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2005, 08:48:18 »
Flatterer!  :)
I used to work in a factory. I loved it. I got made redundant. It hurt (a lot). I decided to have a go at doing something for myself, i.e. grow my own food. I studied horticulture and crop production. I now feed the family all year and have started a small business selling fruit based products.

So you are a pro.  :D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2005, 10:12:10 »
Bupster I found out about shade loving plants from googling on the internet.  Just type in shade loving plants and up they all come.  No science knowledge needed.  you can google and drink gin and tonic at the same time

Pleased to hear about your growing business Jennym - sounds wonderful.  It must be great to do what you love for a living  :)

I've done two garden design courses and am thinking about having a go at an horticultural course if I get time.  There's one near me from Sept but one of the ladies on it last year said that some of the lessons get very raucous and stuff gets thrown at peeps.  don't know if I like the sound of that  :o
I came, I saw, I composted

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal