Author Topic: Sarpo miro spuds  (Read 2746 times)

Trenchboy

• Half Acre
Sarpo miro spuds
« on: August 22, 2005, 23:13:50 »
Got talked into buying 15 seed potatoes at the Dulwich Potato Fair last january. Planted them in 4 rows with plenty of space between plants and between rows.

No problems so far, and absolutely no blight, no slug damage, and no wireworms, even though the plot was unused for 7 years until this year.

Have pulled two, even though the foliage hasn't yet started to change to yellow.

The yields are extraordinary. 4 kilos then nearly 6 kilos. Monster spuds down to miniature versions, so by the end of September... Who knows?

Very firm, so U/S for mash. Roast and chips ok but not spectacular taste to match yield.

Has anyone else tried them?

TEL

• Hectare
Re: Sarpo miro spuds
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 06:21:49 »
Hi TB
Haven't tried them but they sound good.
Will try & get some for next year as most of my spuds were a bit naff.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 09:29:50 »
I grew Sarpo Mira (and Tominia and Axona) last year. I planted them incredibly late (end April) and harvested them the first week of November!  (Blame wedding prep)

There were some huge tubers - 6" across, but the bigger ones all had hollow heart so weren't as large as they first appeared. At that time, they were distinctly floury and got saved until Christmas and turned into mash very successfully.

I am growing Mira again this year; have eight plants which were put in the last week of March, and all of which were still growing strongly last time I was at the lottie (and more foliage than last year too).  So I am expecting a huge crop again! I will be leaving them in as long as I can.

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 09:32:28 »
Hi,

Yes I tried them this year as the dreaded blight is rife at our lottie.  We had both sarpo mira and sarpo axona and fully agree with you.  The yields on axona were brilliant and the few mira's that weve dug up have not prompted us to go delving in to the soil yelling "is that IT???".

Also agree on the taste front, acceptable but not brilliant.

Adrian
Best laid plans and all that

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 09:40:08 »
That's the best bit of having a mashable floury spud which doesn't taste brilliant - you can add butter and cream/milk and nutmeg to the mash and it doesn't matter!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 09:44:28 »
In much the same way as beans are great as you can cover them in butter and black pepper.  Cauliflowers are great as you can cook up a nice cheese sauce?

Perhaps we just use the veg as an excuse for indulgency!

Still the effort required to mash my Mira's would work some of it off, they are v. firm!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 10:10:26 »
I'd boil 'em a bit longer ! My Chrimble ones fell a bit. If you boiled them until they look like they're falling (cut them in small pieces too) then they should be easier to mash.

I just found my nonstick spud basher is cracking and the hubbie likes the idea of a potato ricer, so I suspect it's Lakeland, here I come...

Yes I agree - veg as an excuse for delicious dishes (and also fruit).  But that's half the reason I grow my own! It's even nicer!

moonbells

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 21:46:15 »
As Adrian experienced,
I also suffered Blight last year. The first time in 27yrs.. Trying Sarpo Axona/Mira this year and so far the crop is looking superb. Picked the flowers off as suggested in a previous thread - so from your comments, my crop should be HUGE.

Sounds as though I shall miss the flavour of my usual 'Desiree'

Ah! well.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 23:21:27 »
I too have both, but so far have not delved underground! Still working on my Anyas....YUM!!!
Moonbells wouldn't be without my lakeland ricer, bought a few for friends too who swear by it now, love the thing though a booger to wash!  ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 09:36:38 »
Off topic but anyway..

The grim horror of blight came back to halt me yesterday when having been away for a few days I raced down to the lottie expecting finally some red toms.

Blight carnage amongst the Marmande's.  Ferline and purple calabash so far unaffected, but still green. 

Very despondent.  (But good excuse to buy a polytunnel for next year...)

Adrian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal