Author Topic: Composting questions  (Read 4893 times)

vaca

• Half Acre
Composting questions
« on: August 22, 2005, 10:57:01 »
Hello again,

In my ongoing preparation while I wait for my plot, I decided to start storing composting material from my small garden. I've got a couple of bin bags of grass cutting already from this weekend's mowing. I've also got several tomato plants in pots and was wondering if I can compost some of the branches which I've removed over the weekend, they shouldn't be diseased, but is it safe? or should they just be discarded?

Also, my neighbour has a huge pear tree (over 3 storeys high!!) and it dumps loads of pears into my garden. As they're not eating pears, I've usually just left them to rot on the flower beds. I take it these can also be composted? Will the seeds also break down? or will they survive the ordeal? if they do survive, is this a problem?

Many Thanks,
vaca

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
Re: Composting questions
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 11:20:46 »
we composted some failed tomato plants this year. I stamped on them  to break up the stems before we put them on.

BUT - our compost bin is very well established and is very hot! so they would rot down well.

I don't put the rotten fruit on as I am worried the stones/ pips will sprout! but not sure if I am being paranoid.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 11:34:27 »
I have seven old apple trees which drop literally hundreds of apples each year and they all go on the compost with no problem.  I also put in any fruit or veg, their peelings, cores, skins etc can go on the compost as well as any garden waste except perennial weeds.  I don't add buttercup, dandelion etc or any weeds with seed heads, although if the compost heap is hot enough they will disintegrate.

You are probably best to find a book which has a section on compost or look on some of the compost threads on this site as there is a wealth of information.  Lots of people say anything except cooked food or animal products.  Even hair trimmings, newspapers torn up, can go on the heap.  I am not the best qualified person to reply to you but I love making compost!  There is a great sense of satisfaction in recycling things.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 11:37:05 »
definitely. Whole fruit (we have loads of plum trees) is about the only thing that doesn't go on it to be honest!

Vaca - see this link from the top tips section:

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php/topic,7061.0.html

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 11:43:22 »
My hundreds of apples go on whole and seem to rot down perfectly, I don't have time to cut them up and they are often full of wasps, flies etc so the process is already started I suppose.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 11:58:48 »
OK - was not sure about it, so had not put the rotten plums on. But if the stones do break down will give it a try.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 12:20:32 »
I compost everything I can - even perrenial weeds at the moment.  I am filling my bins quickly at the moment and peeing on them whenever possible in the hope that I can get them quite hot - they are also black and in full sun.  Even so I am going to wait two years to make sure that the perrenial roots are all dead and rotted.  I do have four bins and can make piles elsewhere.  When I have my plot more under control, I will seperate annuals form perrenials and compost seperately.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 20:01:35 »
You can certainly compost tree fruit, but had you thought of cooking some of those pears?

vaca

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 20:49:51 »
You can certainly compost tree fruit, but had you thought of cooking some of those pears?

I'm quite into making jam and had thought about it, thinking about it I might just give it a try. I did try one raw and it definitely has some pear taste to it, but is a little tough as an eating pear. I'll start collecting them as soon as the weather clears up a bit  :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 00:47:15 »
Couch is OK, bindweed often lasts overwinter and has to be picked out and put back in. I don't have horsetail thank goodness!

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 09:06:15 »
I'd love to compost my horsetail, bindweed and couch ..Is it possible do you think?Roots and all?     Or would I be making even more trouble for myself?

Put in bin bag. Mix with grass cuttings. Add urine (optional, but effective). Close bag and leave in sunny spot. When contents are unrecognisable add to compost heap.

Those big rooted weeds have lots of goodness in them...shame to waste it!
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 10:08:06 »
It's difficult to separate stuff out so I don't bother.  But then I'm a lazy gardener  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 20:33:23 »
I have a nice hot compost heap - Saturday last, I layered it - fresh strawy manure, semi rotted compost, and fresh weeds/veggie scraps plus liquid gold. Today, it is nice and hot (according to that stick mixing thingy from the OGC with a temperature sensor).  ;D
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 09:55:08 »
There's a wonderful article on world composting methods in the Garden Organic mag this month. They cover:

German Mound
Pit Composting
Trench Composting
Bokashi Composting
Chinese High Temperature Stack
Bangalore Method
Rural Biogas Digesters
Cuban Vermicomposting

:o :o

Next time the old boys tut tut at my compost contents/method, I shall simply look mysterious and say 'oh, that is a German Mound' ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 09:57:11 by supersprout »

amphibian

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 10:27:28 »
Couch is OK,

You compost the rhizomes? How long do they take to break down?

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 12:44:46 »
Legally, the fallen fruit may belong to your neighbour. Perhaps you should get their ok first before you compost it.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 19:44:38 »
Couch composts over winter; I don't remember it surviving. Nothing much goes into the bins after midsummer though; they're always full to bursting by that time.

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 20:09:09 »
REDC>> is it vegan organic to pee in the compost?
It'll be better next year

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 09:08:31 »
Depends on what the donor ate and drank!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal