Author Topic: Watercress  (Read 3675 times)

undercarriage plan

Watercress
« on: August 21, 2005, 20:07:14 »
I read somewhere that watercress in a pond makes it lovely and clear. So I rooted some from a bag I bought in Tesco (to eat!), and I now have loads of watercress in the pond!!! Do you think this'll be OK to eat? Between lettuce crops at min. It works by the way, water crystal clear. Lottie  ;D

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
Re: Watercress
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 20:10:36 »
i have water mint in my pond and its so invasive have loads of the stuff , i have wondered if  u can eat that to

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 20:11:18 »
I will if you will........ ;D Lottie

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 20:16:06 »
Hi Lottie.  I read somewhere, I'm sure, that watercress needs running water to grow successfully.  That said, can't think why you shouldn't eat it unless the pond is contaminated in some way. 

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 20:18:41 »
you go first lottie  ::) ::)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 20:34:45 »
Running water? Not necessary. But - obviously, clean?

See my blog.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 20:35:05 »
The problem with watercress grown in still water is that it can carry parasites such as liver fluke - these parasites cannot live in running water.     The aspect abuot pollution is simply that w/cress will not tolerate overly polluted water.

Yes it gives a great clear pond because being fast growing it uses up any spare nutrients preventing algal growth so clear water is the result - I used to use it the same way and is recommended for use in koi pond biofilters.  As for eating it.....leave that to the insects in the compost heap.

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 20:37:48 »
Cheers Iain, I was just about to suggest risking it!
My name would definitely be mud if the liver fluke parasite was present eh?

not that I have any water on my site, running or still, just what falls from the sky . . .

Derekthefox (still in sunny Spain)

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 20:58:04 »
does anyone watch i think its called water by design , he ate some watercress from an pond more of a natural pond , and the other to lads found out it used to be a cesspit i bet it taste nice .so should i not eat my pond mint neither then

undercarriage plan

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 21:30:38 »
So...shall I put fork down then? ??? ??? ??? Lottie

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 21:33:23 »
looks like you had better lottie ::) ::)might never be yourself again if you eat watercress from pond

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 21:33:46 »
Just a risk to be aware of - there was the odd occasion I ate mine guessing that as I could see only a very small risk of contamination (no local water-meadows, not much livestock in the area etc) then why not!  

Life is short and full of chances...........

Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 21:35:21 »
oh..........and it won't survive cooking.   If you want to know more look up Fasciola hepatica.  I think thats the correct spelling!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 21:39:34 »
Blimey Icy!! OK putting fork down and ketchup and vinegar!! Thanks though!! Lottie  ;D

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 21:48:27 »
don't even touch it lottie don't go near it  ::) ::) ::)you had better keep bob away perhaps that why he has no legs you have poisoned him  :'( :'( :'(

undercarriage plan

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2005, 21:49:17 »
Nah!! He's OK has his yellow wellies on....... ;D ;D ;D Lottie

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2005, 21:55:00 »
good as bob needs to be fit for work tomorrow with jaggy

undercarriage plan

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2005, 21:58:16 »
He's doing press up as we speak.... ::) Lottie ;D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2005, 13:30:27 »
I was wondering the same. Glad I haven't eaten it!

It's nonsense about running water and w.cress. Mine has been in a still pond for over a year and doing really well. It flowered and seeded earlier in the year and has spread up the banks (I've pulled that out).

I've been trying to grow some to eat (love the stuff) in pots, but either it seems to dry out or the slugs get it. must try harder!
gone to pot :D

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2005, 21:09:45 »
I was wondering the same. Glad I haven't eaten it!

It's nonsense about running water and w.cress. Mine has been in a still pond for over a year and doing really well. It flowered and seeded earlier in the year and has spread up the banks (I've pulled that out).

I've been trying to grow some to eat (love the stuff) in pots, but either it seems to dry out or the slugs get it. must try harder!

I agree - it grows very well in still water and I was forever clearing it out.   It will grow on land and requires less water then you might think - the important thing ias to try and keep it cool.  Best of luck in your efforts!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal