Author Topic: Birch tree  (Read 1659 times)

Sketty

• Quarter Acre
Birch tree
« on: August 24, 2005, 18:03:25 »
I have a birch tree (about 30 foot tall) growing about 5 feet from the wall of an outbuilding. Although I like the tree, some people tell me it must be felled to avoid structural damage. Whilst some say the roots will undermine the footings, others say moisture drawn from the soil will cause subsidence. A lot of people say it's fine where it is.

Who is right? :-\

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Re: Birch tree
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 21:08:09 »
Horticultural information:
An fast-growing garden tree, usually grown as a specimen, silver birch enjoys dry, acid soils (although others are tolerated) and a sunny or semi-shaded position. Easily raised from seed which can be sown as soon as it ripens in autumn, planting out in its second winter. The yellow catkins in spring contrast with the attractive silvery bark. The roots are shallow so keep away from buildings.   Tolerant of air pollution and of exposed sites.

Sorry to say Sketty it looks like you need to fell it to aviod the roots damaging the wall.  I can also say that it will definately dry the ground out as they like moisture and this could cause wall cracking as well.

Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 08:40:10 »
As this is an outbuilding and as such not part of the dwelling area, i would monitor the situation before i took the drastic step of felling it! the old adage "wait and see" seems to be the answer!
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Sketty

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 10:27:10 »
Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention there is a storage cellar under the building, so in effect, the footing are about 7 feet below ground. Would this make a difference? ???

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 01:46:37 »
I'd also wait and see, particularly if there's a cellar.  Twelve years ago we bought a Victorian house in SE London which, 100 years after it was built and a year into our ownership started cracking.  After a year of monitoring, soil tests, bore holes etc the problem was deemed to be the London plane next to the road, responsibility of the LA.  Insurance co paid for repairs but put LA on notice that any further subsidence would cost them big time.  Noticed last time we drove past the house (we subsquently moved), that LA had felled the tree. 

At the end of the 50ft garden to that house was a silver birch, adjacent to the boundary wall and 5ft from corner of brick built garage.  Tree had been there some 50 years and there were no signs of damage to either garage or wall.  The silver birch is still there.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 06:49:17 »
If you are on clay soil felling can cause problems with soil shrinkage.
However generally it will be cheaper to remove the tree when it is smaller.
Silver birch have a relatively short life, say 50 to 100 years agaist hundreds of years for oak or beech.
The biggest worry is whether the tree is healthy, any signs of fungi or canker then get advice from an Arborist recomended by the Arboricultural Association.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 20:50:34 »
If you're on clay soil, and the tree has shown no signs to date of causing subsidence, felling it could cause heave - the opposite of subsidence but equally problematic.  If the tree is healthy and the outbuilding is too, I still say you're best to wait and see.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 22:14:46 by Jill »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal