Author Topic: Oh dear  (Read 2520 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Oh dear
« on: August 21, 2005, 11:45:05 »
Why do I impulse buy...I've just bought a bottle brush,callistemon, for a border I'm re-doing , getting it home I find it needs a lime free soil. My neighbour has done a test on her soil and it came out neutral. but I'm inclined to think it might be alkaline in places. Does anyone else grow this and has it been okay?
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Re: Oh dear
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 12:30:17 »
Hi Val - Did you see Gardener's World last night.  Carol Klein was talking to someone in Nottingham who has a lovely bottle brush in their garden.  She did not mention anything about any specific soil, only that it should not get too wet in the winter (but of course what does she know - I must admit to not having much confidence in her opinion ;) :))

I have looked in my RHS Encyclopedia which states : Frost to half hardy, but in cool areas all except C. sieberi need protection of a south or west facing wall.  Requires full sun and fertile, well-drained soil.

Hope this helps.  I have been meaning to get one for years but could not decide where in the garden to put it.  I will watch with interest to see how yours does :)

Pat
Happy gardening all...........Pat

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 12:34:50 »
I have just bought a bottle brush with was half price at B&Q's last week.  I have to confess that I have just planted it in a space where I thought it would look good.  I haven't looked into the science of soil or conditions, which might be foolish of me, but I am going to enjoy seeing how it does.   :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 12:50:39 »
I put in a bottle brush a couple of years ago.  My soil is neutral to slightly acidic, and it's fine! More than fine, bloomed its little socks off this year. I also impulse bought, and really had no space for it, so I'm training it to grow against a wall, going to plan so far....Lottie ;D

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 15:08:49 »
Oh thats a relief, Hi Pat I haven't watched GW yet, I taped it, will let you all know how it goes on. It will be in sun for most of the day, but its quite sheltered here, mind you if it grows in Nottingham, should do just great here. It was just the soil conditions that was concerning me...oh what the devil, I'll just go for it.Any signs of dying I'll send it to Undercarraige. I wish I'd looked in B&Q's now...mine was in the local nursery and wasn't half price... ::)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 21:22:32 »
Had mine in the same pot for 10 years, never really fed, or watered, and it is spectacular year after year.  Have been contemplating planting it out now I have cleared a new border, naked soil, bare fence, all desperate to be planted up!

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 06:58:15 »
I have one growing well on acid greensand in Surrey.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 08:02:37 »
Yes but is anyone growing it on alkaline soil?..not much I can do about it now though.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 10:15:10 »
Val   I think Carol K does know what she's on about as she runs her own nursery  :)  If you needed to plant it out you could just surround it with the corrrect compost or sink the pot containing the compost into your garden.  I've done that with rhodos and azaleas as my soil is very alkaline. 
I came, I saw, I composted

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 16:28:27 »
Thanks Wardy, I've just dug up some lilac bushes, they suckered everywhere, so I've to get some more manure to put down to improve soil then I'll decide what I'm doing. I've a few other bushes to put in as well.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 16:30:20 by Val »

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 23:21:05 »
I love lilacs but don't have any in my garden.  Left a beautiful Lemoine hybrid at my last house  :(  I have a common lilac in a pot and I thought I might put it on my allotment, together with some other spare shrubs I've got as I want my lotty to look good as well as being productive  :)

As they're a bit invasive I thought I might leave it in its pot and just bury it in the soil. 

undercarriage plan

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 23:31:07 »
Just thinking same, Wardy! Filled up garden, so spreading to lottie! Want those plants I've never had room for! Lottie  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2005, 09:44:23 »
Buddlias will be the next shrub to go up to the lotty.  I have a white one which is in too much shade but it would make a good gap filler (in the hedge) for the allotment  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal