Author Topic: Aquatic Soil  (Read 3139 times)

wardy

• Hectare
Aquatic Soil
« on: August 21, 2005, 11:41:24 »
Does anyone know if aquatic soil is really necessary for my plants which I want to put in my new water feature. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 10:42:06 by wardy »
I came, I saw, I composted

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
Re: Aquatic Soil
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 16:22:25 »
i have a big pond with fish and loads of plants , they say you should use aquatic soil for plants and soil and compost does some thing to the the water which is not good for the fish , but i have use anything soil usually as it is heavier , has never harmed my fish or pond might go cloudy but it soon will settle ,put a few stones pebbles or shingle on top to stop all the soil washing out ,if you submerge the potted plant first in a bucket of water then put it in the water feature it will not go so cloudy, good luck

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 17:16:18 »
Hi Wardy.When you say water feature i presume you mean pond? Soz,my memory aint what it used to be .I know we have conversed before but i have been at work all weekend and i have lost the ability to remember anything!!

You only need aquatic soil if you are potting up plants for a fish pond.In a nature pond, plant as heavily as possible to prevent algae problemsYou can put the soil on the bottom of the pond and fill gently.Of course you will get a pretty yucky looking pond for a few days but it will settle,then you can plant it.I would not put any stones or pebbles in,no need.The plants will knit together and that encourages all the insect life you need.Ordinary garden soil is fine,just make sure it doesn't have any extra nutrients  as that will cause an algae bloom.
Margaret

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 19:08:28 »
When I didn't build my pond, the adivce was to use normal soil if you are doing a nature pond.  This gets the pond in tune with its local environment sooner byt introducing allt he local bacteria etc.  The one I have not got did not stay cloudy for long - the soil has made a good lining on the bottom for frogs etc to hibernate in the bottom.  I also made the shelves so they were not contain contain soil and have planted direct.  One thing I did learn though - couch can survive at the bottom of a 60cm pond that does not exist.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 19:10:22 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 16:25:50 »
wardy if you are finding it hard to get aquatic plants ,if you pm me your address i can send you some i have to very large overgrown ponds, and if you would like some you are most welcome ,if not they only go on the compost bin

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 14:10:07 »
that should not be to hard wardy to prize the money out of your oh , wink wink nudge nudge i can think of plenty of ways  :o :o :o

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 18:24:45 »
oh dear wardy perhaps the £90 might be a bit harder to get then i thought , but no harm in trying

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 15:54:15 »
lets hope and pray for a win then , and you might get the pump fingers crossed ,

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005, 13:08:11 »
not sounding to promising wardy we will have to come up with a new plan , you will get your pump  ::) ::) ::) ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal