Author Topic: Hibiscus seedlings!  (Read 1864 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Hibiscus seedlings!
« on: September 07, 2005, 16:38:33 »
Weeded and cleared around my 3 hibiscus plants today in preperation to move at least one...when I noticed lots and lots and lots of seedlings around them.  When I looked, I believe they are hibiscus seedlings!  Great being a lazy gardener.  ;D  When would be the ideal time to carefully lift some and plant up in pots?  And would they be better left in the greenhouse over winter, or outside in a sheltered spot?  And what are the chances of them being perfect copies of their parents?  And what am I going to do with about 50 hibiscus seedlings!!??

ChrisH

• Quarter Acre
    • http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/enable/index.htm
Re: Hibiscus seedlings!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 18:32:27 »
I would say if the parent plant is hardy then so will it off-spring :) but some dont like frost. As you have so many why dont you leave half were they are and put the rest in the greenhouse to over-winter.

As to what to do with them  :-\

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 19:43:31 »
What to do with them, ahem, remember me!!  ;D  ;D   ;D  ;D  ;D
Or sell them at a school fete?
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 22:05:38 »
DP, of course, goes without saying!  ;D

I think I will do exactly that Chris and leave a few insitu, and gently oik the rest out, pot them up, and put some in the greenhouse, and some in a sheltered spot and see what becomes of them.  Exciting this gardening lark huh!

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 23:57:53 »
Are the seedlings from that gorgeous pink one from the photos you posted on the other thread?  If you did have a spare one ...
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 18:39:45 »
Pink and blue, and I don't know who is who or what is what until they are all grown up and have flowers of their own!

If all is well with the world, I will get some carefully teased out of the ground and potted up, so pm me your addy!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal