Author Topic: Has anyone got Butternuts yet?  (Read 16320 times)

nickhitch

• Not So New ...
Re: Has anyone got Butternuts yet?
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2005, 13:49:54 »
just got back from 2wk hols to find 8-10 b'nut averaging 4in in lenth on 5 plants so live in hope they will form in time.

first time messenger but have been readin all advice on A4A 4 a while now,excellent for tips and advice.great site
be happy

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2005, 21:36:56 »
I've got butternuts rampaging all over the place, but no fruit. Next year I'll be planting them earlier as I didn't think of it till I read about them on this site in late June, and it was probably too late by that time.

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2005, 23:12:58 »
I counted up 5 today, all at different stages and sizes, none of them ready yet. I can't wait to eat them. Even the OH was excited when he saw them.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2005, 11:05:37 »
OK before replying to this, bare in mind a few points
1 I'm a dingbat  2 permanent marker isn't always permanent
3 All squashes in big bed together  :o :o :o 4 This is the first season I've tried them 5 Any other reasons you can think of.......  OK here I go...Is this a butternut squash, or a really poorly marrow? I didn't realize, if it is, that they had pale stripes before ripening, and it's so hard! If marrow, what the hell is wrong with it!! Thank you  Lottie  ;D ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2005, 12:20:25 »
Errr Lottie,  methinks what you have there me dear is.......................a butternut squash! ;D   
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

undercarriage plan

« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2005, 12:34:08 »

Excellent!! Thanks DP, really chuffed! OK.....what next?  ;)
Lottie ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2005, 12:50:06 »
Put it somewhere and let it ripen, I put mine on a windowsill in the conservatory or in my unheated greenhouse, if you look here,
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php/topic,12896.0.html
 there are a few notes about storage, unless of course you just want to go ahead and eat the darling now, in which case you need to search in the recipes section for butternut squash! ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2005, 12:54:26 »
Think I'll go the route, DP!! Is it supposed to be so hard? Competing with homemade biscuits for hammer status!! Lottie  ;D

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2005, 14:22:27 »
The question is how many did you eat while stipey?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2005, 15:08:08 »
Yes they are hard skinned which is why they last so long over the winter, I don't start eating mine till we have run out of runners, beetroot, lettuce etc. I use the squashes as our winter fodder! ;D
They are great roasted, and one of my kids faves is carrot and squash puree, lovely with a roast dinner. :D  :D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2005, 15:10:32 »
LOL!! This is my first one Aussie Chick!! But more coming, will need identity parade to sort out marrows from butternuts from tiny pumpkins and gourds!! All yellow  ::) ::) ::)!! Marrows are beginning to turn, I think, could be...sigh!
DP, that sounds delicious! Will store it then, read that bit, feel more prepared now....ish !! Thanks for all your help.  Lottie  ;D

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2005, 15:57:01 »
I too use them for winter, roasted is the best.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2005, 17:46:44 »
OK changed mind again, having read that!!! Have urge to roast it now... ::) ::) ::) Lottie  ;D

Nathan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2005, 21:08:46 »
Best butternut meal:   Cut into chunks, boil like potatoes. mash with butter, salt and pepper, yum.

Second best butternut meal:  Roast in oven (small chunks) and eat mixed with crisp bacon, pasta, and feta cheese.  Yum yum.

Third best butternut meal:  Cut into thick slices. Put them in bottom of roasting dish while you roast a chicken.   Soaks up chicken flavour.
Nathan

undercarriage plan

« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2005, 00:12:13 »
OK, gone midnight, but sound so nice half tempted to start now!! Thanks Nathan. Lottie  ;D

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2005, 09:07:27 »
when i got my butternut plant the label suggested i halve it and roast with maple syrup. nigella lawson does a pancake recipe with maple syrup and crispy bacon, sounds disgusting i know but tastes divine. so IF i get any butternuts (notice that's a big if) i'm gonna roast 'em and top with crispy bacon.  ;D
Tara xx

undercarriage plan

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2005, 09:32:57 »
My one butternut is really going to have to stretch with all these gorgeous ideas!! Thank you! Lottie  ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2005, 12:54:18 »
worryingly, yes, I do...... ;D Lottie

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2005, 10:29:00 »
I harvested a dozen butternut squash last night. Plenty still left on the (5) plants that will hopefully swell now I've removed the biggest ones. Some of them are enormous, some look more pumpkin-shaped, which is odd. Some look quite ripe but some aren't, and are currently residing on the bench near the window in my shed. A couple of them had quite deep splits in them (which is why I decided to start harvesting). I've left those outside to ripen or rot, whichever happens first. It looks as if either slugs or woodlice may have been laying eggs on the cut surfaces, so I didn't want to store them with the others. If they ripen up quickly I still may be able to salvage the un-split sides for soup.

Also harvested all my pumpkins (15 of varying sizes currently taking up all the remaining space in my shed), four courgette/marrows, half a dozen globe artichokes, a carrier bag full of tomatoes and two rows of potatoes. Quite a haul for one evening!

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2005, 11:02:02 »
There's a picture of the pumpkin/squash haul on my blog.

Think I'm too late for the veg show. Not to worry.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal