Author Topic: Has anyone got Butternuts yet?  (Read 16268 times)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
Re: Has anyone got Butternuts yet?
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2005, 20:58:05 »
I have got one whopper - must be about 6 inches thick and about 8 wide, all the rest get to about 2 inches, flowered, then died!! Must have had 15 - 20 attempting to grow. Wonder if the big boy is taking everything the plant has to offer. Going away tomorrow, leaving the garden in the hands of the neighbour, so hope I get to harvest the squash when I get back!

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2005, 00:31:48 »
   'Butternut Sprinter' - three plants racing across the plot at great speed, but producing only male flowers: not a fruit in sight.  Anyone know whay that could be ??
The plants produce male flowers first then they produce female flowers. If you have applied too much nitrogen it may result in excessive vegetative growth and delay flowering.
I have got one whopper - must be about 6 inches thick and about 8 wide, all the rest get to about 2 inches, flowered, then died!! Must have had 15 - 20 attempting to grow. Wonder if the big boy is taking everything the plant has to offer. Going away tomorrow, leaving the garden in the hands of the neighbour, so hope I get to harvest the squash when I get back!
Sounds like a pollination problem. Have you seen any bees working the flowers recently?

Ern

• Not So New ...
  • Another Place
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2005, 12:38:24 »
  Thanks, John.  I was afraid that might be the problem. Do you think it's too late now for the plants to produce anything ?

City Gardener...

• Not So New ...
  • You can grow anywhere!!!
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2005, 13:09:02 »
I was wondering where my butternuts had got to, now it seems like I'm in the same boat as most of you, lot's of male flowers, a few fruits had set then dried and fallen off but one or two seem to be their for the long haul! ;D

I had 3 good pumpkins having decided to only grow one per plant in my limitted space... all about 2-2lbs each...
You can grow anywhere!!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2005, 15:18:03 »
I've got 2!!!! Really excited, first attempt at butternut squash, seem OK at min.  But having read this. I'm off to water manically, really don't want them to split. But I must be the only person who's manged to produce 1 marrow..... ::) Lottie

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2005, 15:52:10 »
I have several pumpkins, and some winter squashes of unknown orgin, because they were given to me by my neighbour. Are butternut squashes particularly difficult then, as all my plants have been incredibly prolific, ie I have enough fruit for the whole of my city !

Derekthefox  :D

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2005, 09:38:06 »
I probably have around 15-20 fruits at the moment, haven't been able to count them all because the foliage is hiding them! Some are massive - much bigger than shop bought ones. Some are still weeny, but growing.

I had a fabulous meal in a restaurant last night - half a roasted butternut squahs, filled with ratatouille with cubes of feta cheese on top. I shall definitely be giving that a go when my squashes are ready!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2005, 09:39:28 »
Derek last year I had masses, this year can only see 2 so far, unless they are lurking under leaves, (she hopes!)  I have never found them difficult till this year, must be the weather! :'(
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

kcarlisle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2005, 14:20:20 »
Hi all!
This is my first year growing butternuts too!  After a very slow start I now have about 10 that have set.  Does anyone know how long it takes from setting to harveting? 
I love growing butternuts .. watching the fruits swell is really fascinating!
Persevere!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2005, 14:24:47 »
Kc Seems to depend on the weather with mine! I leave them on the vine as long as possible, to get them as big as they can, they say they survive a light frost but I try and bring them in before that, and finish ripening them on a windowsill or greenhouse.
I love growing squash, the speed of growth is very rewarding, and of course it is all above ground so you can watch them expand on a daily basis! ;D

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2005, 14:46:15 »
I have quite a few small ones, and the bluddy slugs are munching them.  :-\

Alimo

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2005, 15:05:35 »
Can you raise them at all Alimo?

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2005, 16:09:32 »
We ate our first allotment grown butternut squash last week. everyone liked it.
Lots more close to being ripe.

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2005, 16:11:32 »
Well Doris, the intention was that they'd grow up the wonderful support my husband made, but, best laid plans and all that, they're making a bolt for freedom across the veg patch.  

This being my first year at veggie growing I'm learning from my many mistakes - will try and tie them to supports next year and not rely on them just climbing themselves.  

Alimo

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2005, 18:05:45 »
Yum West sussex!

Alimo you can try to reduce the damage by  putting a brick or tile gently under them,  or straw, though the little boogers will obviously climb up, but it gives them an obstacle! (I also gently try to send them upwards even if they are hurtling across the ground!)
Oh and hope you don't mind me saying (cos you may already know!), but if you have badly nibbled ones remove them so the energy can go to your best fruits, hope you get some fruit off!   DP

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2005, 08:46:33 »
if it is a slug problem put some cut hair around the plants.
No slugs will come near.

fnstein

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2005, 13:32:12 »
No but I've got saltyballs  :o.  On a more serious note, this is the first year I've grown squshes other than courgettes/marrows - I'm having little sucess so far - only two small butternuts with a third one on the way - hope this one grows well
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 13:34:55 by fnstein »

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2005, 14:36:32 »
Thanks for the anti-slug hints and raising the plants advice. 

Ok - who wants a haircut???

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2005, 15:26:40 »
 ;D

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2005, 20:22:26 »
My butter nuts aren't.  I thinkthey must be pink banana or themystery seeds from the guy next door.  They are rugby ball shaped and custard powder yellow.
Get with the beat Baggy

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal