Author Topic: Will have to wait for lottie  (Read 4315 times)

vaca

• Half Acre
Will have to wait for lottie
« on: August 19, 2005, 14:34:13 »
I've just spoken to Brent Council asking if they'd received my application with my selected plot. Apparently the man in charge has gone on holiday and will not be back until after the bank holiday and he's the only one who can draft up the tennancy agreement.   :'(

I do have the key as it was sent to me so I could select one of the available plots so I know there should be no problem in eventually getting the plot, the question is... how naughty would it be to do any work on it at all? like strimming some of it? I guess it's a no-no but I just can't contain myself... and I guess there are also legal reasons why I shouldn't...

...I guess all I can do is sow things at home in preparation for the beginning of September. By the way, can I sow broadbeans in tiny pots for transplanting later on? or do I need to sow them directly where they'll eventually grow?

Thanks again,
vaca

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Will have to wait for lottie
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 14:55:57 »
Vaca, you could take that key with a cuppa tea, and just sit and gaze at it and plan where you are going to put everything eventually!
Yes you can transplant Broadies, I start mine off in pots every year.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 14:57:57 »
I wouldn't do any work on it, just in case! maybe some one else has come along and chosen the same plot as you in the meantime, for example, and you don't end up getting it! Bit of long shot - but s*ds law rules!

No harm in getting things started at home though  :)

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 15:05:33 »
I agree with DP.  Similar thing happened to me when I started.  THe site secretary had just retired but at the time nobody was sure if he actually had or was just missing!  In the end I had to go through the council direct and it took nearly a month to get everything signed and sealed ::)  But, the lovely people on the site let me in several times, recommended a good plot and I spent quite a few hours just sitting under the tree daydreaming of what would go where and how great it was going to be! ;D

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 18:57:01 »
You can start broad beans off in toilet rolls too: I've found it works better than pots because they have a suprisingly long main root thing (technical term, that).
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 20:34:58 »
or in newspaper pots (easier to get loads at short notice) i won't go into how to make them in case you already know, but if you don't, say so and i'll explain.
Tara xx

vaca

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 21:12:51 »
D&T, do let me know how you go about making them out of newspaper. I liked the idea of potting them in toilet rolls, but it'll take me a couple of weeks or more to get 12 or so rolls  :)

mitzzy

• Quarter Acre
  • Organic goddess
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 23:26:41 »
I tied toilet rools and they went abit fousty (Sp) or mouldly

i am not sure if I just keep them too damp or what .

Mags
new allotment owner excuse my ignorance !

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 07:41:27 »
I tried 'T' rolls for the first time this year and they worked well inspite of a bit of mould

I kitchen roll tube cut in two equal's 'two' toilet roll tubes

Builds you a supply in no time

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 09:02:59 »
I ask my neighbours for their's - they think I'm strange but comply: I've now got 100s!
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 10:07:07 »
 ;D
I get my loo roll inners from work..also made the mistake of mentioning that 2 litre coke bottles make great mini cloches, now my spare room is overflowing with them!! Cant wait to get a shed!! :)

Not complaining though, I think its great that people are keen to recycle, and if I benefit everyone is a winner!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 10:07:32 »
The mould on the bog rolls doesn't seem detrimental to the plants  :)  I grew sweet peas and sweetcorn in mine.  I get loads as I have a B & B so plenty of stocks  :)  If I have too many I just compost them  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 10:09:19 »
Katy   You can use the 2 litre pop bottles for making a comfrey pipe (just search on here and you'll find the instructions with a drawing)  Make yourself one and then you'll be able to brew your own comfrey tea fertiliser.  It stinks terrible but it's good stuff  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 12:29:47 »
I have used loo roll inners for peas,carrots and leeks to get a head start, I have also sown seeds outdoors of the same plants when the weather warmed up and to be honest there was little difference in the growing performance of any of them :o

I'll not be bothering with them next season ;D

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 20:29:59 »
I have used loo roll inners for peas,carrots and leeks to get a head start.... to be honest there was little difference in the growing performance of any of them :o

I was given the loo roll as a way of avoiding pea weevil by getting the plants big enough to fight through the attack.  When you say no difference Roy ,do you mean to growth speed or attack from said weevils?

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2005, 13:02:43 »
hi Vaca  ;D
take a sheet of newspaper (whole), fold in half lengthwise. take another sheet (half, so one page) tear in half then fold in half.so you get one, double thickness quarter.
get a small jar. i use an old baby food jar as it's quite narrow and saves on potting compost.
take the quarter paper and wrap over the bottom of the jar. while still holding this, take the long sheet of paper and wrap around the sides of the jar as tightly as you can, keeping the folded edge flush to the bottom of the jar.
now pinch the two pieces of paper together at the bottom, gently slide the jar out of the paper.
tuck the top edge of your paper pot in on itself to hold everything together
and there you have it!
it's much easier than it sounds, i promise  ;D
i got the idea from andy h's site, 'self sufficient-ish.' there are pictures and instructions there that might make things clearer for you.
this is a lovely, mindless job to do while watching telly!
Tara xx

vaca

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2005, 23:06:12 »
Thanks Tara! I received my broad beans today so I'll try sowing them out in newspaper pots this week. I've also managed to get a couple of empty toilet rolls so I'll be trying them as well :)

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2005, 23:12:47 »
one more tip Vaca,
fill them to the top with compost, otherwise you get an ugly newspaper circle sticking out of the soil when you plant them that takes forever to rot down because it dries out each sunny day!
Tara xx

amphibian

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2005, 08:37:08 »
If you want toilet rolls quickly then simply buy a bumper pack of toilet rolls and then pull the tubes out of the middle. You then use these rolls back to front, as you would a some balls of string, pulling the paper from the middle and leaving the outside seal in place.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2005, 08:46:08 »
Another use for toilet rolls is blanching collars for leeks, i.e. place them over the leeks and more of the plant stays white, saves earthing up.

Regards

MikeB

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal