Author Topic: What do you look for in a photo?  (Read 3842 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
What do you look for in a photo?
« on: August 19, 2005, 10:30:50 »
When it comes to voting for your fave photo in the competition, what do you look for or what criteria do you use for choosing one?

Or is it purely random depending on which one you like the best?

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
Re: What do you look for in a photo?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 11:02:42 »
Hi GC, I usually just go for the one that I like best. This time though, I let my 3yr old daughter choose her favourite  ;D

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 11:40:22 »
I look for good focus, good light, clean background and a good subject.  I've also been using this summer's competitions to show my daughter how to look at photos, hoping she'll learn to focus a bit better when taking her own.   Having said that, most of mine lately are just snaps of bits of the garden for memory aids so not particularly "composed".

Obxx - Vendée France

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 11:43:37 »
The one that makes me smile, it can be out of focus, or of centre, but if I like it, I vote for it.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 14:50:28 »
it can be out of focus, or off centre, but if I like it, I vote for it
~SNAP ;D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 14:52:03 by GREENWIZARD »
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 19:39:23 »
I wait til all the entries are in and then go through relatively quickly - the ones I want to vote for generally 'jump out' at me, and sort themselves into a rough pecking order as I go.  I don't second guess myself after that or I'd be here all night (Ok, more of the night than I already am  :(   Sad, me? ;D )

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 09:47:02 »
Smile away Emma Jane.  When the object of the exercise is to get a child not to cut off the feet or take only feet or not get its finger over the lens, composition and clarity are key aids.  The arty, fuzzy, soft focus can come later when she's grasped the basic concept.   We do a quick scan through, see which ones jump out at us and then look at those in more detail.  She really enjoys this and being asked her opinion before we vote.
Obxx - Vendée France

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 13:53:21 »
I look at them and if one makes me say to myself ah!! thats nice, it gets my vote.
What do you look for Richard??. ;D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 17:10:57 »
I tend to go for the one that I really like (although the competition is very tough :)) and not for the best photographic skills.  After all - we are not (as I think has been mentioned before) all David Bailey's :) ;D
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Yellow Petals

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005, 20:49:18 »
When the gardens, blooms, allotments etc., started coming to life, I've looked for those pictures in particular  :)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 14:22:43 »
I look at them and if one makes me say to myself ah!! thats nice, it gets my vote.
What do you look for Richard??. ;D

I gues i make my decision based on several factors; Attractive, interesting or unusual subject matter, composition, or maybe one that just 'stands out of the crowd'.

Some months I have spent ages trying to find the one to vote for, other times its easy to pick one. This month I, like a lot of people found rosebud's pic to be the one that 'stood out of the crowd' as it was a nice composition and the subject matter, well - stunning just about covers it!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 15:32:14 »
Thank you very much Richard. :D ;)

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 21:20:02 »

This month I, like a lot of people found rosebud's pic to be the one that 'stood out of the crowd' as it was a nice composition and the subject matter, well - stunning just about covers it!

YEs me too - Rosebud's pic just made me say aaaah - it's so colourful and welcoming - stunning indeed.
Terri  :) :) 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal